Carrigan - Greatest HS performance ever (article)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Carrigan - Greatest HS performance ever (article)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:48 am

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

Right-way Carrigan Flies To A Record
C-a-double r-i-g-a-n spells Carrigan, and remember it, for Casey vaulted 17'4¾" at Sacramento for a new high school high
Gary Ronberg

Casey Carrigan. A name that belongs up there along with Kirk Douglas and Aldo Ray on a marquee billing a war movie. But for the moment, Casey Carrigan has other things on his mind. He turned 18 last February and he's trying to decide whether to go to Stanford or UCLA. For almost two years now they've been after the kid from Orting, Wash., the very best pole vaulter in high school history. And last Saturday night in the Golden West Invitational in Sacramento, Casey Carrigan sharpened the demand. He vaulted 17'4¾".

Yes, this is the same Carrigan kid who last September did 17 feet in the final Olympic Trials at South Lake Ta-hoe and a month later found himself on the way to Mexico City with a red and white USA on his sweats. That was, he says, his greatest thrill—but it led to his greatest disappointment. After missing twice at 16'1" in the Olympics, Carrigan went well over the crossbar on his third try, only to have his pole follow him under the bar and nullify the effort. "It hurt. It hurt real bad, going out like that," Carrigan says. "But still, it taught me a lot. It did me a lot of good. I learned to face up to things."

The thing that California's supposedly red-hot track fans refuse to face up to, however, is that the Golden West Invitational isn't just another all-star high school meet. Indeed, with 16 former participants competing in Mexico City, the Golden West has obviously become a showcase for budding Olympic, college and professional athletes. Tommie Smith ran in the Golden West, and so did Jim Hines, Charlie Greene and Jim Ryun. Mel Renfro of the Dallas Cowboys and Earl McCullouch of the Detroit Lions hurdled in the meet, and Bob Beamon jumped in it. "This meet means everything to a high school kid," said Brian McElroy, a Massapequa, N.Y. senior who won the 880 in 1:49.8. "This is the one the studs win. The people? Who cares about the people? I came out here to run, not show off. You can show off on a dance floor."

Started in Los Angeles 10 years ago by a bunch of track buffs who call themselves the Golden West Track and Field Association, the meet drew so few fans that it soon found itself on its way to Sacramento. There it continued to sink slowly in the West until, out $8,000 in the spring of 1967, the Golden Westers burst into a meeting of the Active 20-30 Club. For years, the Active 20-30 had done a lot of nice things around town, like helping build parks and playgrounds in depressed areas, but ever since they had given up the soapbox derby the members had felt guilty about the clause in their bylaws that encourages "service to youth."

As a result, the two groups joined forces, and while the Golden Westers handled the selection and invitation of the athletes, the 20-30's—few of whom knew a stopwatch from a tape measure—whittled away at the deficit. As a result this year's meet wound up with the biggest budget ever. The kids were put up at the fancy El Rancho Hotel out on West Capitol Avenue, and the food was plentiful (SmorgaBob's, featuring $1.49 dinners across the street, twice got the call for banquets). There was a queen contest, of course, and the winner, Blanche Wilkins, was clearly in the spirit of things: she accepted her crown with a taped right ankle, which she had sprained while throwing the javelin.

Of the 115 athletes invited to the Golden West, all but three showed up, not including the one who made it to Sacramento but got lost on a sight-seeing trip in San Francisco. The only significant absentee was Reynaldo Brown, the Compton, Calif. senior who jumped?' 7'¼" in the Olympics. Otherwise, the field was the strongest the Golden West ever had, and Sacramento was crawling with college bird dogs.

In addition to Carrigan, there were hotshots like George Amundson, a strapping Aberdeen, S. Dak. youth who is the only high school boy ever to throw the 3 lb. 9 oz. discus more than 200 feet. Amundson was tickled to be in Sacramento, particularly since he almost didn't get there. Thursday morning he flew to Sioux Falls, S. Dak., where he caught a plane for Salt Lake City. He was flying youth-fare, however, and in Salt Lake he got bumped from the plane to Sacramento and wound up sitting in the airport for five hours while his bags went on to Reno. Finally, George flew to San Francisco and got on a bus to Sacramento, where he arrived late at night with nothing but the suit he was wearing and the discuses he had carried under his arm. All day Friday he walked around wearing a University of Texas T shirt, borrowed shorts and shoes. "Boy, I can't wait until tomorrow night," he said. "But really, I don't know how well I'll do. I've only worked out twice this week." On Saturday night Amundson shattered the meet record with a heave of 193'6". A protean young man who also played the trombone in the school band and single-wing tailback on the football team, Amundson thinks he's headed for either Iowa State or Tennessee.

With the exception of the pole vault, however, the most spectacular event was the 100-yard dash, in which the slowest man in a field of nine turned in a nifty 9.5. Although slightly unnerved by a false start, Willie McGee, a bearded speedster out of Hattiesburg, Miss., won in 9.3 to tie Billy (Peanut) Gaines' national high school record. McGee had gone that fast before, but up to now no one believed his times. "See what happens," said Meet Director Jack Germain. "Here is a kid, a typical good, fast, Southern Negro boy. The times come out of those small towns in the South—9.3, 9.4—and everybody says, 'Aw, they're padded. High school kids can't run that fast.' So we get the kid out here and what happens? Nine-three. New record. Even though we don't draw flies with this meet, it settles things like that."

"I've never run in a meet this big before," said McGee. "It was a thrill to win, but honest, I got out of the hole late. After my false start, I had to be careful. Now, if I'd had a good start...."

In the triple jump, Zach Gillon of Peekskill, N.Y. bettered Bob Beamon's listed record (50'3¼"). The people back in Peekskill couldn't have had more confidence in Zach. To make sure he had transportation to Sacramento, they set up a sort of Zach Gillon Golden West Fund, placing canisters in stores, barber shops and dry cleaners around town. Gillon wound up with $1,200 for his trip west, and he didn't disappoint anybody—with the possible exception of himself. With his goal set firmly at 52 feet, Gillon won with a leap of 50'11¼", but it won't make the record books since it was wind-aided. "My coach says I should go 55 next year," he said. "I think he's right." Gillon could do it for any number of schools—Villanova, Tennessee and Wisconsin among them. After college? "I'd like to be a professional model," he says. "My mother did some modeling. It's a good life."

But to get back to Casey Carrigan and the battle of the heights. The third of five boys, Casey is following in an athletic tradition. Brother Andy Carrigan, a linebacker, just graduated from Stanford, and Brother Mike Carrigan, a defensive halfback, may start for the Indians next year. Behind Casey is 15-year-old Tim, who plays basketball and football. At 11, little Clancey, well, he's setting his sights. As befitting his status, Casey Carrigan was the last Golden West athlete to check into the El Rancho, coming up from Stanford on Saturday morning with Mike. The numeral he would wear on his back that night was, of course, No. 1.

It wasn't until the bar reached 16 feet and a field of eight had been pared to three that Carrigan picked up his pole in earnest. At 16'4", Dave Roberts of Conroe, Texas missed on his third attempt, leaving Carrigan with an old friend, Steve Smith of Torrance, Calif., who had beaten him in the Coliseum-Compton Relays the preceding week. The bar went to 16'8". Carrigan made the height on his first try, and Smith, struggling, cleared it on his third.

"We had a pole-vaulting pit for the kids in the backyard years ago," said Casey's father, Paul Carrigan, who drives a logging truck in Orting, which is 20 miles southeast of Tacoma. "From the time I can remember, Casey was always swinging from trees, jumping and running, things like that. We lived in the foothills at the base of Mt. Rainier, and it seemed that Casey was always outdoors, doing something."

The bar was raised to 17 feet. Carrigan, sitting at the top of the runway, his back to the pit, adjusted his shoes. Then he got up and walked to the box, where he took off his white sweat pants, folded them neatly and placed them in the box. "Seagren and all the good ones do that," his father said. "It cushions the pole when it hits. Helps absorb the shock." The meet announcer told the crowd that the bar was at 17 feet, and Casey Carrigan sprinted down the runway. Up, up, up and over he went, clearing the bar with half a foot to spare. The crowd of 4,000, warming to this now, erupted in applause. Three tries and Steve Smith was out—on this night just another high school pole vaulter who has gone 16'8¾".

"Casey always does his best when he gets down here in California," his father continued. "The weather up home isn't too good in the spring. Why, there were lots of times Casey and I would go over to the high school pit at Tenino, and there'd be sawdust and water from the melted snow still sitting there in the box. He could never get going."

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I direct your attention to the pole-vault area, where Casey Carrigan will try to become the first high school boy ever to Vault 17'4¾"." The announcement was unnecessary.

Again, the shoes were adjusted. Then the walk to the pit, the pants folded and placed in the box, just so. And again, down the runway came Casey Carrigan—"Casey O. Carrigan," his mother said. "It doesn't stand for anything. It just sounds nice, don't you think?" Up, up, and over. Another roar. The track meet was finished for everybody except Casey Carrigan. The crowd had spilled out of the stands and was gathered around the pole-vault area.

"The bar, ladies and gentlemen, is at 17'10¼". Casey Carrigan will make three attempts at this height, and if he succeeds he will have gone higher than anyone has vaulted before."

Carrigan failed on his first attempt.

"How do you feel, kid?" an official asked him.

"I feel good," said Carrigan. "But I'd feel better if I went over it."

Carrigan failed on his second attempt.

"I always thought sometime, somewhere, it would come down to something like this," said Mrs. Carrigan. "Casey is a very determined boy. He is a worker, but he is humble. I love him for his humility. His humility and his generosity are my favorite traits."

Casey O. Carrigan failed for the third time at 17'10¼". Engulfed by fans and children, he talked and signed autographs until the lights of the stadium finally went out. "I think I was taking off too soon," he said. "I don't think my form was that good. On the 17-footer, though, I was on it. It was a good jump. I would be interested to know how high I went at 17 feet."

Casey Carrigan. A kid. Just turned 18 last February. We must remember that.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Carrigan - Greatest HS performance ever (article)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:50 am

I really think this is the greatest performance ever by a high school vaulter. I love this article (I bought this edition of the magazine on eBay years ago). I only wish they had the pictures online for everyone to see. They have a great shot of Carrigan clearing the record, and the postage stamp sized pit is just surrounded by people, and the runway is just lined with people. It's really crazy.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:13 am

good morning

this is really great Becca... we used to have a pole vault "get together" at Donnie Baird's in southern Cal every year.. Casey, Dave Roberts, Steve Smith, Donnie and Tully were just a few that used to come. Casey was/is a fire captain in Long Beach.. station 15? near the airport? at one time.

that had to be one if not the greatest high school all time pole vaults....... Carrigan, Roberts, Smith!!!

thanks Becca

:D

dj

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:54 am

Casey Carrigan was an amazing prep pole vaulter, during the time that I was also in high school. He was 1.5 years younger than me. In 1968, I remember that there was a WA state prep meet in Bellingham, just a half hour south of my hometown of Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada. I seem to recall that he cleared 16'+ in that meet, but I can't find any online articles about it. (I had actually thought he did around 16'6", which tonight led me to think that his 16'7" state prep record must have been the meet in Bellingham, but all historic references to that record say that it was set in 1969 - not 1968. In 1969, I was already attending UW, so I'm a bit confused by this. (Does anyone know where the state prep meets were held in 1968 and 1969, and how high Casey went in the 1968 one?)

Back in those days, we only got track results by newspaper, and I had no idea that the meet was even being held there - so close. The day after he set the 1968 WA prep mark in that meet (based on my memory only), I read about it in the newspaper. I was quite disappointed that I missed the opportunity to go down to Bellingham to watch him vault! I would have had to play hooky that day, but it sure would have been worth it, just so that I could marvel at his vaulting. A month or so later, I started to hear about his remarkable vaulting at the Olympic Trials, and then of course his disappointing finish at the Mexico City Olympics.

Coach Ken Shannon had tried to recruit him to come to UCLA, but Stanford won out when Shannon transferred to UW. Also, I seem to remember that Casey's 2 brothers played football for Stanford, so he followed them there. Really, it's too bad Carrigan didn't join us at UW, as I consider it the lucky break of my career to have gone to a university with such an outstanding, experienced vaulting coach. I know I would also have learned quite a bit from Casey, and he would have learned quite a bit from Coach Shannon.

I did meet Casey a few times in 1971, when he competed for Stanford. I didn't know him very well, but at the few meets where we competed together, we had some short chats during the meets, and I thought he was really a nice guy.

In doing some nostalgic online research about him tonight, I also came across these articles. Enjoy!

Casey Carrigan Article
http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2517

Casey Carrigan was part of a special basketball team
http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8255

Olympics Biography of Casey Carrigan
http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ca/casey-carrigan-1.html

1968 Mexico City Olympics - Pole Vault
http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/summer/1968/ATH/mens-pole-vault.html

Skipper vs. Carrigan
http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=951&p=12152&hilit=carrigan#p12152

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:27 am

Carrigan only went 15' at the 1968 State Meet. I am not sure where it was held, I don't have my Annuals on me. Maybe the meet you are thinking of what a Conference Championship or something.
http://www.washingtontrack.com/champsboysjumps.htm

He did go 16'8.25" in 1968 as a junior which was the state junior (grade 11) record until Tyson Byers broke it in 2001. He went 17'0" in the Olympic Trials that fall, but it didn't count for the junior record because it was after August 31.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:31 am

The 1968 AA State Champs were at WSU, but Carrigan was single A and those aren't posted online.
http://www.washingtontrack.com/1968boysaa.htm

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:49 pm

RainbowGirl,

Yes, it would have been the 1968 AA State Champs at WSU in Bellingham that I was thinking of. But I'm a little confused on how A and AA work in the American system. Does that mean that Casey wouldn't have competed there, because he was AA, or are you just saying that his results aren't published on the internet - that you can find? I'm quite certain of the year and the fact that Casey was in the meet and hit a big one. I just don't remember the exact height.

As an off-topic side-note though, I found this in the link you posted above:

Code: Select all

Pole vault
1 Mark Edman, East Bremerton      14-7
2 Tim Engquist, Ingraham          13-9
3 Eldon Colombo, North Thurston   13-9
4 Dave Quinn, Lakes               13-9
5 Dan Taylor, R.A. Long           13-6
6 Brad Moore, Kent-Meridian       13-6

In my trivia quiz thread, I had mentioned a guy that I competed with in the BC-Washington Dual Meet, in about 1968 who vaulted off the wrong foot. I remembered his name was "Mark", and I thought he was from Edmonds, but I didn't remember his last name.

From the results above, I'm quite sure that this guy was Mark Edman! Obviously not from Edmonds, but my memory wasn't failing me by much!

Does anyone else remember him, or his vaulting technique?

Still a little further off-topic, I also remember that he was quite an avid photographer, and was just starting up a wedding photography business. He showed me his portfolio, and his photos were REALLY GOOD!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:12 pm

WSU is in Pullman, you are getting confused with WWU in Bham.

Now there are 6 classifications in WA based on school size... 1B, 2B, 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A. Back when Casey was competing there was just A and AA. Orting is a smaller school, so they were A.

You should email Scott Spruill: watrack@msn.com I am sure he could tell you where the 1968 A State Meet was.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:36 pm

Scott Spruil kindly sent me this info ...

Here are Casey Carrigan's four Class A state titles, where they were and how high he cleared:

1969, Bellingham: 16-7
1968, Ellensburg, 15-0 1/2.
1967, Ellensburg, 14-1 3/4.
1966, Seattle, 14-0 3/4.

Thanks, Scott!

I guess my memory's not as good as I thought it was about this. I thought it was 1968 in Bellingham, but it was apparently a year later there. This is only important in the context of me trying to understand (and marvel) at his career. I want to better understand the timing of Casey getting recruited to UCLA, then going to Stanford. And I'm wondering if he was ever recruited to come to UW.

Ken Shannon started coaching at UW in the fall of 1968, so that would mean that all of this recruiting (on behalf of UCLA) would have happened in Casey's junior year, probably even prior to the end of his high school season. I will have to ask Shannon if he remembers any of this. I'm guessing that Shannon also tried to recruit him to UW, but we've never talked about this. 37 years after, I'm sure he won't mind admitting that I was only a distant second choice for scholarship money when Casey signed with Standford!

My high school career pales in comparison to Casey's. In my junior year, I cleared 12-0. In Casey's junior year, he cleared 17-0!!! To put it in another perspective, Casey cleared 17-0 as a 17-year-old, whereas I was 21 before I first cleared that height!

This is why I marvel so much at Casey's high school career. I know how hard it was to jump 12-0 as a 17-year-old back then, so for someone to go 5 feet higher AT THE SAME AGE meant that he must have been incredibly mature physically, plus he must have somehow hit on a technique that was years and years ahead of his time. You only need to look at today's all-time rankings - in WA and in the US - to realize how advanced he was, and how few vaulters would follow in his footsteps!

My best understanding (according to articles found on the internet) is that his father was his coach. However, I have found no absolute confirmation of this. To discover "proper" PV technique in 1968 as a high schooler is truly amazing. Even the world's best (not that Casey wasn't amongst them - he was the 18th vaulter in the world to clear 17-0) had a lot more years of vaulting experience than Casey to "put it all together".

I'm going to do some more internet research, phone Coach Shannon, and try to piece together Casey's year-by-year progression. I'll try to fill in the blanks of how he managed to excel at such a young age.

Unfortunately, Gerard Dumas' "Who's Who in Pole Vaulting III" - usually abundant in detail - is sketchy (and incorrect) on Carrigan. It claims that Casey retired at age 18 (in 1969), but I competed with him in 1971, and although his best at Stanford was only 5.05 (16-7), he did come back in 1974 to be ranked first in the US and fourth in the world . Then in 1975, he was ranked sixth in the US. So it appears that he actually retired at age 25 (in 1975).

Here's a snippet from one article that I found at http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2517. The trouble is that they make it sound like he had his 1968 Olympic Trials success, and THEN he was "heavily recruited". This just can't be true, as he cleared 17-0 on Sep 12, 1968, and Shannon was on campus with me at UW at the end of that same month.

... Carrigan was recruited heavily. He was interested in UCLA, but Bruins head coach Ken Shannon left during the process to become head coach at Washington. Carrigan then chose Stanford, which his two older brothers had attended.

After a year of college, Carrigan needed a break. He gave up his scholarship and didn't try out for the 1972 Olympics. But after watching, Carrigan decided to give vaulting one more shot. By 1975, he was ranked No. 1 in the United States and had cleared 17-10 3/4. But an Achilles tendon injury kept him from the '76 Olympic tryouts, and at age 25 his vaulting career was all but done.

A few years later, a friend interested him in becoming a firefighter. Carrigan spent two years at the Santa Anna (Calif.) College Fire Academy in its fire science program, and applied to become a firefighter in Long Beach.

Not to be picky, but Casey didn't leave Stanford "after a year". He was a freshman there in 1970, and we competed together on at least May 1 and May 21 of 1971. Casey made the World List that year at 5.05 (16-7).

I will post a summary of Casey's career once I finish my research. If anyone knows how I can reach him by email, please let me know. I'm sure that he would remember me, and I would love to chat with him!

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”