The Majic Pole

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

The Majic Pole

Unread postby dj » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:03 am

good morning

thought this might be best here in history rather than poles.......

The “Majic” Pole

Once upon a time in early 1976 a pole was created… this was not just any Pole.. This was a POLE.. The type that men fling themselves high in the sky with….

This Majic POLE was a Pole Vaulting Pole…5 meters long and constructed “differently” than all other poles before it… and all other poles that have come after it.

This pole had a flex of 14.7 but after being brought to the factory for a “Tune up” it was re-measured as a 14.6

This pole was originally made for and owned by EB (Earl Bell) but its claim to “fame” came at the 1976 Olympic Trails in Eugene.

How!?

Dave Roberts was attempting a world record 18’8 ¾ and broke his own pole… so he “borrows” one of Earl’s poles.. It happen to be the “Majic Pole”, but it wasn’t quite majic yet. Dave clears the bar for a world record. Majic!

But that is not the end of the story…………

This “Majic” pole went on to be used by three world record holders.. All three jumped 18’6” (5.65) or higher on the “Majic” pole. Earl Bell 6’3” – 170 lbs, Mike Tully 6’4” – 195 lbs and Dave Roberts 6’2” – 180 lbs……. different in many ways but similar in many. But it was very interesting that these three could get a similar result form the same pole.

I was introduced to the pole, before I had actually seen the pole, by its designer. During a lengthy discussion in 1981 he explained what he had done to make the “Magic” poles “DNA” different. At that time I had never seen a vaulting pole made or had any technical discussion about how they were made, but I had had extensive experience (being an avid bass fisherman in Florida and having a Pro Rod maker as a friend) with how Bass fishing poles were made and understood some of the terminology of sail pieces, taper, hoop strength.. etc. So I just tried to take it all in.

Then in 1982/83 while working with one of the three vaulters from above list, I met the “Majic” pole. There in his garage stacked on some saw horses was every pole that he had ever used. Among them was the “Majic” pole.

What we were doing that day was trying to decide what series of poles he would need to start our first season of working together, and I wanted to know what poles had worked for him in the past and maybe determine “why” or if we needed to fill in some gaps…

While looking through the poles he pulls out a pole and said “well if we are looking for patterns we might had better check this one.. It’s the one Dave used and all three of us used it to jump high.

I thought it still looked “useable”… but he showed me a big “ding” about three feet up from the but end. Seems a big guy from Stanford, a discus thrower by the name of Plunknet.. had throw a discus pretty far one day at Arizona State and it slipped under the fence and zapped the pole that was laying near the pole vault runway …… across and half way down the field from the throwing circle! Plunknet was a big strong boy.

After selecting a few poles that he considered his “honey” poles, at one time or the other, including the “Majic” pole, I got a small round light on a long cord and began to check “patterns”. Didn’t really know what I might be looking for but with the information about how the “Magic” pole had been made from 1981 and my knowledge for my Bass rod maker we began to collect some info. We looked at sail piece lengths, mandrel size, how many warps for the sail, wall thicknesses, the dimensions of the sail, its position from the butt and the middle of the sail relative to the “best” grip he had used on each pole. We came up with some parameters that we used in his poles from that day on..

There was something else about the “Majic” pole that made it different. The real reason I call it “Majic”.

In the conversation with the poles designer in 1981 he talked to me about “spiral wrap”. Spiral wrap was an innovation he had created to make the pole stronger but still light enough to carry down the runway. Spiral wrap was a strip of fiberglass cloth wrapped diagonally around the pole. He actually designed and patented a machine to wrap the material around the raw pole. His soul reasoning for patenting the machine was to keep other pole companies from copying the process, knowing it was not cost effective to “hand” spiral wrap every pole.

Side bar… One of the reason we could have the conversations we had was not only my connection to Roberts and Bell but I was an amateur inventor with three designs that were patent pending, one of them I wanted to sell the “rights” to him and his company. I had spent two, long days sitting on the floor of the US patent office in Washington, DC reading every word of his patents, including the spiral machine, so I could fully understand how I wanted my patent attorney to write and present my Patent applications, which I actually wrote and drew the designs myself.

Back to the “Majic” pole. A statement that was made during our conversation stuck with me. He said something to the effect that he put the first spiral wrap on the pole going one direction.. Then he removed the pole from the rack, turned it around, and put the second spiral wrap going in the opposite direction?!! At the time I envisioned a “Chinese Handcuff” type of crisscross.. Which to me would make the poles “hoop strength” stronger. The reason that was important of course was that it could bend more without breaking.. Breakage is usually caused by the pole bending to the point that the walls get to close together (from circle to oval) and it folds so to speak. The spiral wrap was designed to make the pole stronger, without using more material. Poles of equal flex had better “bend tolerances” with spiral wrap than the ones without.

Interestingly when that company was in the process of being sold to another company I called before the transfer to get some new poles for my vaulter. A new manager was there for the transition. I told him I needed poles and that hopefully we could get them made along the line of this pole. He asked for the numbers from the label. I gave them to him. He came back to me in just a few minutes and read off the date and the numbers and said “is that it”? Sounded exact, but then he said “this is interesting.. The flex number of 14.7 is crossed out and 14.6 is written below it!” Bam.. That was the pole.

As an amateur inventor I knew that most inventors kept spiral notebooks of all of their new creations. They were dated with consecutive page numbers so they had “legal” verification of “when and what” was done. (I had actually already heard that pole design books had been kept for every pole that he had ever “invented”.)

And to finish this “tale” ..

after he read the flex number he said to me.... “This is interesting? There’s a note hear at the bottom of this pole design page?
add spiral wrap.. remove and turn pole.. add second spiral wrap."

:D

dj

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: The Majic Pole

Unread postby master » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:10 pm

dj wrote:In the conversation with the poles designer in 1981 he talked to me about “spiral wrap”. Spiral wrap was an innovation he had created to make the pole stronger but still light enough to carry down the runway. Spiral wrap was a strip of fiberglass cloth wrapped diagonally around the pole. He actually designed and patented a machine to wrap the material around the raw pole. His soul reasoning for patenting the machine was to keep other pole companies from copying the process, knowing it was not cost effective to “hand” spiral wrap every pole.

Hey dj, that's a great story, and part of pole vault history. Was the designer Herbert Jenks?

- master

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:58 am

Ron Morris said the old spun glass pole was not Gill..( that was when the phone was breaking up).. he said some company there in Cal used them for something else.. but that they might have put a gill label on them for the Games or Gill started carrying them after Mathias used it.

he said he thought Uelses and Tork were the first to use the "Browning" Skypole in 1962 and when Tork jumped on it at Mt Sac he just held on and feel over the bar.. just after the meet on April 28 Ron got his first Skypole from Herb Jenks and jumped 15-10.. i think he said.

Those first poles were bigger around on the bottom and tapered toward the top, fishing pole style..... George Moore (teacher..coach?) told me a story in 1981.. that he knew Herb and that he (George) had a nephew, early/mid/late 1950's, that was pole vaulting in junior high school. The poles back then were steel/aluminum..(I jumped 9-3 with the old Gill “Red” in 1961 as a 14 year old) long and heavy.. one day he said something to Herb who was an engineer with Browning, or the company that came before Browning, there in Costa Mesa, CA, about the poles. Herb said “look we make 16/17 foot fiberglass poles to use as “out riggers” to catch 1000 lb Marlin. We have “seconds” that we throw aside… I’ll bring some home and we can make a pole lighter to carry.. cut away the blemish and still have 12 feet or more.” He and George took one of the poles, “whittled” a piece of wood and drove it into the big end for a plug and they had the first real “fiberglass” vaulting pole. Sail piece and all! The rest is History…

I posted the “Majic” pole story for several reasons.. First I thought it was unique and that it was just one of those “lucky’ times that I had been fortunate enough to be associated with part of Pole Vault History…

Side bar

…first who would have thought that I would have had a brother that was one of the first “bending fiberglass pole” test pilots!, in the remote backwoods of Arkansas no less. Who would have thought that I was set to go see John Pennel Jump on fiberglass in Memphis, Tenn only to have to work and miss it!.. but one of my best friends went and gave me the jump by jump including the world record of 16-3…and years later I sat with his coach for hours and picked his brain. Who would have thought I would have an opportunity to be associated with three of the greatest vaulters of all time, Bell, Roberts and Tully. Who would have thought!

I guess the morale to this story and why I wrote the “Majic” pole story was not to brag or “boast”… it was to say I have been blessed.. very blessed and I don’t mind sharing.. I think the best way to become a better athlete and better coach is to study your event.. study it from every possibly angle with these thoughts in mind.

It is a “physical” action governed by Physics and the application of force. A fast motorcycle is going to get you over the “ravine” were as a slow one will leave you in the bottom of the box! A closed mind will “lock the wheels”… an open mind, will get you where you want to be!… if you work on your skills

I think there is some of the “Majic” pole DNA in every pole being made today and I know we have some new and much improved glass to work with… But I don’t know that the entire “DNA” is there. This pole is still very unique and had seemingly “correct” details according to the physics of the event.

Every pole I check after 1983, (yellow, blue, black, white or purple.. didn’t matter) from every vaulter that said “this is my honey pole” had the fundamentals of “symmetrics”, mandrel size, wall thickness, location of the center of the sail piece according to the hand grip, location of the center of the sail piece according to where the vaulters center of mass “crossed” the short side of the sail piece (based on the vaulters height and whiter they tucked or not)..etc..etc. didn’t matter who the manufacture was.. the patterns had similar key points.

Every time I go to a meet and watch poles bend and coaches yell at their vaulters about “correcting there technique” I have an uncanny ability at “predicting” the poles sail piece design or several other “logical” points. At least if I rule out the pole the coach can focus on technique.

Why do I think this is important?? The event is the POLE vault. The pole and “how” it will bend is as equally important factor. For those of you that are trying to teach your vaulters to swing without “tucking” please check the pole design and at least rule that part out. I have found that athletes want to do things correctly.. they are not trying to defy you or screw up.. so you as the coach have to find out why…..Why should a vaulter want to tuck? Because they need to “make up time” so they can exit the pole vertically for maximum height. They shorten the radius to speed up. The reason they need to make up time is because of something that happens before the “middle” of the swing. That something could be in part the pole design that creates the “physics” that in the end creates the technique.

When the pole is rotating to vertical the laws of physics dictates that the body will accelerate its “swing” or rotation around the top hand or attachment point when the pole bangs against the top/back of the box. If the pole bends or starts to bend in a curtain way it can either hit the top/back earilier or later than normal. A pole that bends too early, and let me give Petro, Bubka and Allan an acknowledgement here.. because in part, the value of an out or “free takeoff” is that the pole is delayed in it’s bend or never really hits the top/back of the box, therefore creating better “physics’ and the potential to not have to change part of your technique to compensate.

Now I’m not “pulling” this info from a hat. In 1983 I set up my own “Lab’ at the Cal State Northridge pole vault pit. I set up a system that had a camera at 90 degrees to the takeoff. I had two lights, a yellow and a white, attached to the top of a hurdle in the cameras view between the camera and the takeoff. One light would come on from the “sound” that was made when the pole first hit the box. That was so I could see what position the vaulter was in when the pole hit the box before and through the takeoff. I checked how high the plant was, if the vaulters body was vertical, if there was a lot of “negative’ bend form the athlete dropping the pole incorrectly and yes if and when the pole started to bend.

The second light was set to come on when the pole hit the back/top of the box after it’s initial rotation toward vertical. I checked where the vaulter was in there swing, if they were pulling in with there arms or swinging faster…etc.etc..

I used a super 8 camera and projected 100’s of jumps onto a drawing pad on the wall and made stick figures to analysis each. I not only compared the 14 vaulters I was coaching at the time but compared Tully to every vaulter I could get film on. Fortunately I had Orin McMurry right in Burbank to get the best and newest footage from. I think he is still there..

Side bar…
Contact Ron Morris at OnTrack. He would love to help us all out and I would love to send him some business. He is fully dedicated to the Vault and is the most honest helpfully human being I know. He and his son Brooks and daughter? Dana and brother Steve (who still jumps masters) are the ones that did the Santa Barbara Beach Vault for several years out of there pocket. His son Brooks has a club at LA Valley and coaches Brian Clay in the Vault.

I have used that Northridge “research” to study technique and pole bending qualities since that time. That’s where I could see how the old browning poles used by Isakson, the black and blue poles used by Seagren, the Bruce Caldwell pole used to win the 1980 Games by “Wally” Kozakiewicz and the white poles used by Roberts, Bell and Tully, would bend, and how it might effect the technique.

Time to stop…

Take care

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:23 am

good morning again

just another guick note........

Jeff Buckingham, Joe Dial, Greg Duplantis, Scott Huffman jumped like a horse fly in a “barnyard of a thousand tails” because they had to.. to jump high…. Volko had power and Gymnastic ability, Bell had (developed) speed and finesse, Roberts had Power and finesse, Tully had swing and finesse, Billy Olson had speed, Bubka had speed, power, balls and knowledge… Lawrence Johnson had POWER, Tim Mack had tremendous finesse and utilized his “application” of force based on his speed… better than anyone I know before him.

They all had there PR’s on a pole with the maximum amount of DNA from the “Majic” pole.

dj

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:23 am

DJ, in 1997 when you coached me to be the National Masters Champion and the winner of the bronze medal at Worlds in South Africa, we had a couple of sessions where we went through and adjusted my pole series based on the story you just told. Your calculations were amazing and dead on. Each pole had its own “personality” and you could tell me the likely tendencies before I ever jumped on the poles. That to me was amazing.

So you may not do it, but I’ll brag on you. To this day I depend on your knowledge and experience and appreciate the help you continue to be. At 55 I just ended my season only 1" off of the American Outdoor Record, thanks in part to you again, and your mid chart. The moral is, you’re being part of this particular vault history with the “Majik pole”, has and continues to play a big role in creating new vault history. Thanks from all of us!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:25 pm

The pole DJ talks about had a Sports Illustrated article written about it long ago. I think it must have been in the very late 70's or very early 80's, right around the time it got clunked by that discus at the Sun Angel Relays.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:44 pm

hey

i just found that SI article posted here under history... post last march by Achtungpv..

thought about re-posting because it is so perfect for this thread...

here's some other stuff i found on Herb.. i will call Debbie, George Moores daughter and steve chappells wife and get some more info..

Herbert R. Jenks
AMF-Reinforced Plastics Div.
HERBERT R. JENKS, sporting goods executive and innovator for more than a quarter of a century, gained acclaim for inventions of the graphite golf club shaft and the Dura-Fiber ski. For years he had been involved with the research and development of new sporting goods products.
In 1948, Jenks developed for his own company, Pacific Laminates (Sila-Flex), Costa Mesa, California, the first tubular fiberglass fishing rod.
Since then he developed the first fiberglass vaulting pole and was involved in the design and/or manufacture of every fiberglass vaulting pole used to set a new world track and field record.

In 1967, Jenks became a partner in a new company, Dura-Fiber Inc., Carson City, Nevada. While there he has developed the “Cata-Pole” fiberglass vaulting pole and originated another brand name, “The Sky Pole.”

Jenks also currently is serving as a director with AMF Reinforced Plastics. He is working with AMF Head Ski Corporation on the development of the XR-1 fiberglass ski and fiberglass tennis racket.

Born in Muskegon, Michigan, Jenks attended elementary and high school in DeKalb, Illinois. He graduated from Northern Illinois University in chemistry.

Jenks began his business career with the U.S. Rubber Co. in 1942. From there he moved to the Convair Co., San Diego, California, where he dealt with process engineering.

After a three-year stint with Narmco Inc. as general manager, Jenks became a partner and general manager with Pacific Laminates in 1947. Thus began his romance with the sporting goods industry. His stay with Pacific Laminates ended in 1960.

[1] Biographical data about Herb Jenks was obtained from the National Sporting Goods Association website (note: the website states "In 1948, Jenks developed for his own company, Pacific Laminates (Sila-Flex), Costa Mesa, California, the first tubular fiberglass fishing rod." This isn't correct, tubular glass rods were developed several years earlier by NARMCO. (http://www.nsga.org)
Silaflex and Browning Silaflex Fly Rods

Early History of Silaflex
In 1947, Pacific Laminates hired Herb Jenks away from NARMCO (Conolon). Presumably Jenks was hired to develop the manufacturing of tubular fiberglass products. By 1948, Pacific Laminates was making the Silaflex line of fiberglass fishing rods [1] (later called the Standard series). These were conventional, tubular fiberglass rod blanks. In the early 50s, Pacific Laminates developed a high pressure lamination technique. The method wrapped the resin impregnated cloth around a tapered steel mandrel and sealed the combination inside a pressurized bag during the heat curing step [2]. The result was a strong, smooth, thin walled blank that did not need sanding. Similar high pressure processes were the key to Phillipson's Eponite rods (1955) and Fenwick's Feralite rods (1959). The high pressure process was used to make the Medallion rod blanks, which were added to the product line in 1952 [2]. In the late 50s, the Perfexion and Magnum rods were added to the product line. The Magnum rods were claimed to have a "progressive taper" that originated with the steel mandrel. The mandrels did not have linear tapers, but instead were tapered in a gentle curve. The 1960 catalogs and price sheets continued to list Standard and Medallion rods along with the newer models.

Purchase of Silaflex by Browning Arms and Subsequent History
In 1962, Browning purchased the company "1962-1963 Acquired Silaflex and Gordon Plastics, makers of bows, rods and vaulting poles" [3]. Browning continued the Silaflex trade name and marketed a reduced line of fly rods with Sizematic aluminum ferrules (the ones with the rubber O-ring). Browning retained four of the Medallion rods, one of the Magnum rods, and dropped the Standard and Perfexion rods altogether

What's My Line
For the true, trivia freak, in the July 14, 1963 episode of “What’s My Line”, the second contestant was Herb Jenks - Makes Poles For Pole Vaulters - "Salaried; he is an engineer for the Browning Arms Company; his innovative vaulting poles are made from fiberglass and their trade name is Browning Silaflex Sky Pole". For what it’s worth, he stumped the panel.

just a note of interest to me........in almost all of the fishing pole information, spiril wraps was mentioned numerous times.........

my first info on "pole making' came from Bass fishing rods in the 70's... actually when Dave Roberts and i used to fish together. He would probally tell you he always caught the "big one"... :D

dj

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:08 pm

That's a different article. The one I'm referring to was written from the viewpoint of the pole itself, if memory serves me right.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:53 pm

hello

i chi-chinged the "talking pole" thread

dj

Vaulting Pole History - the major players
BY JAN JOHNSON

Browning Sky Pole (Herb Jenks & George Moore) 1963 sold to Richards Family in 1968.

Cata-Pole begins production (Jenks and Moore) 1968-1974 Produced Black Cata-Pole and Green 550+ both poles feature adjusted sail pieces and new types of fiberglass.

Ampro Corp. purchases Cata-Pole in 1974 and begins production of Cata-Pole gold in 1978.

Fibersport (Bruce Caldwell) introduces training poles and Maxima III poles in 1978 which are contracted to various manufactures

AMF Pacer III begins production 1975 (Jenks & Moore). First pole to feature Spiral inner wrap.

Steve Chappell becomes Pacer managing director 1984, he is the son in law of George Moore.

Sky Pole is sold by Paul Richards in 1986 to Gill T&F Equipment.

Pacer is sold to Gill T&F in 1987 at the time it is and remains the biggest selling brand.

Richards begins Altius Pole in 1988.

UCS introduces the Spirit Vaulting pole in 1988 Steve Chappell is managing director. The pole employs a unidirectional inner wrap. Within two years Spirit becomes a top selling brand world wide.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 am

good morning

i found these Pole vault poles in the KSA Riyadh Athletics Federation storage... still in their shipping boxes.......

1 x Blue Skypole 124155 – 5.5 m G44 NEW
1 x Blue Skypole 14140-150 8.1l G24 NEW

1 x white AMF Pacer (top broken) 13-6 155?

and

30 ... Red 15’2” Long (60kg – 70kg) 80kg
Grip is wrapped with one half inch cream colored tape…
Label is yellow: Springergewicht uber 80kg

i'm thinking 30 + years old

can anyone give me some info on the Red poles??? Springergewicht uber 80kg
probally great collectors items but..... BIG poles... i think i will distribute them to the clubs for sand vault, stiff pole and Approcah Run poles...

dj

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:30 pm

dj wrote:30 ... Red 15’2” Long (60kg – 70kg) 80kg
Grip is wrapped with one half inch cream colored tape…
Label is yellow: Springergewicht uber 80kg

i'm thinking 30 + years old

can anyone give me some info on the Red poles??? Springergewicht uber 80kg
probally great collectors items but..... BIG poles... i think i will distribute them to the clubs for sand vault, stiff pole and Approcah Run poles...
dj

"Springergewicht uber 80kg" means "jumper (vaulter) weight over 80kg".
I can't remember Germans (East or West) ever made poles, but everything is possible. Most likely this is some made in USA pole for German market with all labels translated. If you are importing something to Germany (or France) they can be very picky about language.
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:52 pm

if it were red, could it have been private labled by thermoflex in salinas kansas?????????????????
Bob

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”