The Majic Pole

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: The Majic Pole

Unread postby dj » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:09 pm

hey

i don't think they were thermo flex... i jumped on those...

these are monsters... i'm looking for anything on the boxes for a hint...

they look like a forerunner to the Nordic... they have nice black rubber butt plugs... and i'm still thinking they are from germany.. i may find old invoices some where.....

i may find more.. this is just one stadium... i have 6 more stadiums just here in the city...

i'm looking for the pacer III 's i had here in 1980......

fun.. stuff

dj
Last edited by dj on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:25 pm

Yeh, my Grade 10 sweetheart was an orange ThermoFlex 150# pole. :yes: Was yours orange too, dj?

As the brand name implies, they only made fiberglass poles, I think.

But I didn't know that she came from Salinas, Kansas! That's nice to know!

If not Germany, then maybe that red 15'2" beauty came from Poland? ;)

dj, you're right ... fun stuff! haha :)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Lancet is a German vaulting pole brand manufactured by ISAR GFK.

No idea if they are still made but they were still making them circa '00. There used to be a video on the web showing an old lady making a pole from start to finish.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:13 am

good morning

i have about 50 of them just in this storeroom in Riyadh.. but i'm not going to let my decathlete try and bend any of them..

looks like they are not reinforced with a sail piece at all.. bigger mandrel than i remember on the thermo flex.. but these poles are 180/190..

my red.. red/orange theromoflex pole was a 145 and i broke it in 8/10 pieces of about a foot each..we laughed that we now had plenty of batons for the relays… the first meet.. going fo 15 feet.. i remember "rocking" back, yep that's what we called it.. i would try and put my knees over my head.. and actually say "back" "back" back" to myself.. and wait to be thrown.. on that jump i got to three backs.. saw the runway.. said oh! Sh@#$ and the pole exploded... i had "flipped" and landed on my feet in the pit on the skypole i broke two weeks earlier.. i didn't flip on this pole because it just "mushed" and i landed on my back against the sawdust bags around the front on the pit..

the school (UCA Conway, Arkansas) never got me another pole and i became a long jumper, hurdler 110/440, relay, triple jumper (49'2" Arkansas state record) and even the 100 yard dash at times....

later

dj

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:05 pm

DJ, what poles would you say contain most of the pole "DNA" that the "majik" pole contained?? I emailed you, a few months back, and i believe you told me to stick to the spirits, that I was used to. Do follow a similar pattern to the 'Majik" pole?? -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:19 am

good morning

the spirit should follow the old Pacer's..

the Majic pole was an old (1976) Pacer..non carbon.. large mandrel.. with the “spiral” wrap.. crisscrossed, to give it what I think is/would be called today the “weave’ effect…. 5m with a 180 inch sail piece... this was a Pacer prior to the Pacer ownership change and moving the company from Nevada to Illnois.....

for you the spirits were working so it didn't make sense to change and or experiment...

dj

ps.. I feel very strongly (I know without reservation) the pole design and pole materials play a huge role in the slight abbreviation of “technique” we see, including the Petrov model.. we would not have the Petrov model if it were not from a combination of Bubka’s physical skills, Petrov’s commitment to Physics and finding important “Q’s” that enhanced that physics, from step one, AND that has to include the pole design.

The dropped knee is a prim example… if you are following the Petrov model but have what is considered a “flaw” and the one thing that is “different” in what you are doing is the pole? Are you going to throw out “logic” and still blame the athlete? so you the coach are of the “hook” for not being able to change the athlete??? I see this happen all the time… the athlete becomes “crazy’ so the coach has an excuse… you must consider the pole.. it’s called POLE vault.

joebro391
PV Follower

Unread postby joebro391 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:06 pm

Hey, MAYBE this is important, to this thread, it's about how poles are actually made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJGXaaQzX-E

Now, these are only gill poles, but it does mention (and show), a cross pattern of weaves. And they talk about the sail peice and what not. Take a look, dj. -6P

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:20 pm

Quick find, there 6P! :yes:

It was only published on YouTube today!

I was going to post it on the other thread, where we talked about this TV program "How PV Poles are Made", but Becca beat me to it! You're both just too quick for me!

You guys must subscribe to a posting service that finds any website with the key words "pole vault" published on them! :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

joebro391
PV Follower

Unread postby joebro391 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:40 pm

KirkB wrote:Quick find, there 6P! :yes:

It was only published on YouTube today!

I was going to post it on the other thread, where we talked about this TV program "How PV Poles are Made", but Becca beat me to it! You're both just too quick for me!

You guys must subscribe to a posting service that finds any website with the key words "pole vault" published on them! :yes:

Kirk

well, actually, i'm subscribed to chris smith, the poster AND the guy, in the video. (really good vaulter btw), BUT, every day, I type in "pole vault", to youtube and view all the new ones...i know...i'm obsessed

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”