Hervé D'Encausse Video - 1966

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Hervé D'Encausse Video - 1966

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:56 pm

This video is in French, and is entitled

Portrait du sportif Hervé D'ENCAUSSE, un des fers de lance de la perche française.

Literal translation: Portrait of the sportsman Hervé D' ENCAUSSE, one of the irons of spear of the French pole.

http://ina.fr/archivespourtous/index.ph ... _notices=2

He's the father of Philippe D'Encausse.

His elite career was 1963-1972. In 1968, he was within 1 cm of Paul Wilson's WR at 5.37m (17-8). He placed 7th in the Olympics, and was world-ranked 4th that year.

It's a 12-minute film, showing many basic PV excercises, but the good vaulting film is all in the last 3 minutes (in case you want to fast-forward).

You can see how much pits have improved since 1966! I jumped in far, far worse than that in high school in 1966-68.

I would characterize Hervé's technique as a typical muscle vault of the era - abrupt takeoff (under); dropping the lead knee; muscle to a semi-invert; and not much fly-away. But still having a PR of 5.37! (Not in this film.) His athleticism is phenomenal to go that high with such poor technique! (We were unaware back then that he was practising poor technique - he was one of the best.)

By typical of the era, I mean that he started vaulting on steel, and did not fully transition to fiberglass. In fact, we were all just figuring out then what the proper fiberglass technique should be.

I separate this era from the pure fiberglass era - where vaulters didn't have to unlearn steel technique. I was right on the fringe of these 2 eras.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in the 1972 Olympics.

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

baggettpv
PV Master

Video...

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 am

Kirk,
Can't seem to get to the exact place for the video. Any other website or specific address to go to? I love the old stuff, it's like listening to retired guys talk about life learnings.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:00 am

This is the permanent link:
http://ina.fr/archivespourtous/index.php?vue=notice&id_notice=CPF04008110

A commercial runs first but the video didn't follow. I refreshed the window and then it played.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

baggettpv
PV Master

Nice...

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:51 am

I like the pit and the standards....
Good coaching is good teaching.

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”