john pennel

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

john pennel

Unread postby dj » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:30 pm

hey

i wanted to post this even though it is 15 years after his death..

i was a junior in high school, 60 miles away, when he jumped the 16'3" in memphis.. a high school friend attended the meet and gave me the "low down." plus the paper had a picture with him clearing the bar with a saw dust pit below!!!!

John Pennel, First Pole-Vaulter To Clear 17 Feet, Is Dead at 53

By ROBERT MCG. THOMAS JR.
Published: September 29, 1993

John Pennel, the wiry, Memphis-born pole-vaulter who set eight world records in the 1960's and was the first man to clear 17 feet, died on Sunday at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 53.
A resident of Westlake Village, Calif., he had been suffering from stomach and liver cancer, his family said.

In an event that had seen the world record advance less than six inches, to the 16-foot level, over the previous 20 years, and only then after aluminum poles had replaced bamboo ones, John Thomas Pennel was in the vanguard of a group of pioneering athletes who transformed the sport in the early 1960's.

Their weapon was the new fiberglass pole, and their impact on the sport was decisive.

In one five-month span in 1963, Pennel, a senior at Northeast Louisiana State, personally added more than nine inches to the record, beginning with a 16-foot-3-inch vault at the Memphis Relays on March 23 and culminating with his benchmark-shattering vault of 17 feet 0 3/4 inches at the Gold Coast meet at the University of Miami on Aug. 24. Olympic Frustration

His stunning series of achievements in 1963 made Pennel, who won the year's Sullivan Award as the nation's top amateur athlete, a favorite to win the gold medal at the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo, but a back injury six weeks before the Games cost him a chance for Olympic glory. He finished 11th, with a height of 15-5, as his American teammate, Fred Hansen, set an Olympic record with a vault of 16-8 3/4.

Hansen, who advanced the world record to 17-3 3/4 during 1964, and Bob Seagren, who increased it to 17-5 two years later, dominated the sport for a while after that, but it was Pennel who took the record to 17-6, in 1966.

Two years later, with Seagren now his main rival, Pennel was again a favorite win an Olympic gold, but he was knocked out of the competition in Mexico City and relegated to a fifth-place finish when his pole fell under the bar on a vault of 17-8 1/2 that would have clinched a bronze medal and kept him in competition for the gold, which was captured by Seagren.
The next year, Pennel set his eighth and last world record, 17-10 1/4, more than a foot and a half above his original mark. A series of injuries led him to end his career in 1970, the year Christos Papanicolaou of Greece became the first man to clear 18 feet. The current world mark is 20-1 1/4, held by Sergei Bubka of Ukraine.

After his athletic career, Pennel worked in sports marketing, for Adidas and others, and made television commercials.
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Tue May 06, 2008 1:52 am

So they gave him a scratch due to his pole going under the crossbar? Thats crazy talk!!
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:00 am

BethelPV wrote:So they gave him a scratch due to his pole going under the crossbar? Thats crazy talk!!

That's how the rules used to be! Kept high schooler Casey Carrigan out of the Olympic Final in 1968.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue May 06, 2008 2:01 am

that was the rules of the day...

the boxes were also 90 degrees... which cut down the penetration.. which meant lower grips and lower jumps...

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

baggettpv
PV Master

Younguns...

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:56 am

Learn the history.....No excuses people.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

dougb
PV Whiz
Expertise: elite vaulter - Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.4 m
Favorite Vaulter: Feofanova

Unread postby dougb » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:29 pm

BethelPV wrote:So they gave him a scratch due to his pole going under the crossbar? Thats crazy talk!!

No more crazy than a vaulter being given a scratch because the pole knocked off the bar after they had gone over. Perhaps the rules should be changed back.
The older I get, The better I was.

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”