Top Ten Vaulters of All Time

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:39 pm

im very upset the kjel is not on there. He is amazing. And tarasov needs to higher.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

skycock
PV Nerd

Unread postby skycock » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:26 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:
mcminkz05 wrote:wow, i havnt even hraed of most of those guys :o

Maksim tarasov - jumped 16 when 16, 17 when 17, 18 when 18, and 19 when 19. Also a coholder of the nonbubka world record at 19'10

actually, tarasov jumped 19 when he was 18. just for future referece.
The road to the National Championships does not run through the Krispy Kreme.
Coach Stan Rosenthaul

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:53 pm

skycock wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:

Maksim tarasov - jumped 16 when 16, 17 when 17, 18 when 18, and 19 when 19. Also a coholder of the nonbubka world record at 19'10

Does that mean thats the HS World record?

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:35 am

skycock wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:

Tarasov's 5.80 is on the books as age 19 because the IAAF doesn't recognize the day your were born...just the year. Even if he would have jumped 5.80 on Jan. 1st and didn't turn 19 until Dec. 31st, it still would be on the books as his 19th year. That's why Jacob Davis' 5.90 isn't the U20 World Record...he turned 20 a few weeks later.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

steiner15
PV Newbie

Unread postby steiner15 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:44 pm

Former world record holder, Billy Olson def. needs to be added to the list!! His PR was 19'6 in the early 80's!!

skycock
PV Nerd

Unread postby skycock » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:20 pm

steiner15 wrote:Former world record holder, Billy Olson def. needs to be added to the list!! His PR was 19'6 in the early 80's!!

He is one of my top 5 personal favorites
The road to the National Championships does not run through the Krispy Kreme.

Coach Stan Rosenthaul

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:21 am

steiner15 wrote:Former world record holder, Billy Olson def. needs to be added to the list!! His PR was 19'6 in the early 80's!!

Not to take anything away from Billy, but...

I believe his pr was 19'5 set indoors in Albequerque in the mid to late '80's, the American Indoor record which stood for a long time.

Billy was amazing though - his tremendous speed really made up for that incredibly flat takeoff, and he always found a pretty good lineup on the pole. (Much like Bobby Most of Texas Tech) 2nd ever over 5.80 and the first indoors. His, Thierry Vigneron's, and Bubka's world record trading in the mid-80's was an exciting time in the sport.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Robvaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: college vaulter, youth pole vault coach
Lifetime Best: 5.01
Favorite Vaulter: Wild Bill

Unread postby Robvaulter » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:47 am

it's really ashame that so many steel pole athletes were lost in transition to fiberglass. My coach won NCAAs in 1958 and he was sayin that Don Bragg couldn't even wear t-shirts cause his arms were so big.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:52 pm

lonestar wrote:

Not to take anything away from Billy, but...

I believe his pr was 19'5 set indoors in Albequerque in the mid to late '80's, the American Indoor record which stood for a long time.

Billy was amazing though - his tremendous speed really made up for that incredibly flat takeoff, and he always found a pretty good lineup on the pole. (Much like Bobby Most of Texas Tech) 2nd ever over 5.80 and the first indoors. His, Thierry Vigneron's, and Bubka's world record trading in the mid-80's was an exciting time in the sport.

I agree along with Joe Dial added into the mix. This was when track and field was shown on the major networks.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: Top Ten Vaulters of All Time

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:02 pm

lonestar wrote:Somebody posted this on the Track and Field News Message Board:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/discussion/viewThread.jsp?forum=1&thread=2569

Top ten all-time pole vaulters:

1. Sergey Bubka
2. Bob Richards
3. Dutch Warmerdam
4. Bob Seagren
5. John Pennel
6. Don Bragg
7. Maksim Tarasov
8. Rodion Gataullin
9. Wladyslaw Kozakiewicz
10. Thierry Vigneron

How would each of y'alls Top Ten list be different? I think it would be easier to separate the lists into pre-fiberglass, and fiberglass/carbon era, of course, then it wouldn't be an "all-time" list. I would definitely want Hartwig and EB on there, maybe in place of Gataullin (although he was great too) and/or Kozakiewicz. Kjell Isakksson (sp) would be on my list too.

I guess the hard part is criteria though, do you base it on records achieved, Olympic or World Championship medals earned, technique, longevity in the sport, or simply height? :confused: Probably a combination of each.

Let's see y'alls lists! :idea:

Do not forget about Steve Smith first man over 18 feet indoors and 18’5" in pro track and was the best pole vaulter in the world from 1973-1975 but because he was in pro track I do not think he reached his full potential at the time. In 1972 he made 18'0" gripping 14'10'".

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: Top Ten Vaulters of All Time

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:Do not forget about Steve Smith first man over 18 feet indoors and 18’5" in pro track and was the best pole vaulter in the world from 1973-1975 but because he was in pro track I do not think he reached his full potential at the time. In 1972 he made 18'0" gripping 14'10'".

If I'm not mistaken, he also jumped 17' off of a skateboard. There was a pic of it in one edition of the Mechanics of the Pole Vault.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:52 pm

Robvaulter wrote:it's really ashame that so many steel pole athletes were lost in transition to fiberglass. My coach won NCAAs in 1958 and he was sayin that Don Bragg couldn't even wear t-shirts cause his arms were so big.

ah...good ol' Jim Johnston Sr. I could listen to that man tell stories for hours. Tell him (and Jim Jr) I said hi next time you see him.
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”