Bob Gutowski

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
dougb
PV Whiz
Expertise: elite vaulter - Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.4 m
Favorite Vaulter: Feofanova

Bob Gutowski

Unread postby dougb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:38 pm

Here is a video ( newsreel ) of Bob Gutowski setting a new world record at
15' 8" in 1957. He was about 4 yrs ahead of myself and I saw him vault several times.

He gets my vote for the geatest "steel pole" vaulter of all time. Warmerdam was great and way ahead of everyone else, but his vaults were allways a little out of control. Gutowski apeared to float and had perfect body control.

Some things to note about his vault are:

He is using an aluminum gill pole which was the universal pole
at this time (1957). ie. everyone used them.

These poles were 16' long. One size fits all. You held as high on the pole as you could. He's holding about 13' and clearing 15' 8". The extra 3' of pole acted as a counter weight for carrying the pole. These poles came in three different weights. 160, 180, 200lbs. You could tell them apart by the number of steps near the planting end.

He slides his hands together during the plant and his arms are flexed at take off. The reason for this was to cushion the shock of taking off with an immovable object. A big difference from fiberglass. The purpose of the take off with a "steel pole" is to transition on to the pole as smoothly as possible. Remember, not only is the pole stiff but the lift begins immediatly. There is no time for 'cocking your take off leg, driving in, etc. The idea of a free take off was not only unheard of, but it would not of worked. Note the amount of bend in the pole. It occurs in the middle of his swing, not at take off.

Last but not least, His pole passes under the crossbar. He was denied the world record at 15' 10" because of this. I guess no one noticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjeXZJpTGLQ

Probably the reason he isn't mentioned much is that he died so young.
The older I get, The better I was.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:15 am

Awesome find and thanks for Sharing!! :)
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 am

does anyone know where Bob was born and/or grew up?
SKYSHARKS

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:18 pm

The thing is...he HAD a free takeoff! Steel does flex slightly and if you look closely, there is a slight bend in that pole after takeoff. If he had been under, his arms would have been ripped backwards, his hips sucked forwards, and he would have landed in or near the box, IF he had been able to complete the jump at all.

Free takeoff does not necessarily mean "out" or "outside." It simply means your center of gravity is rising as evidenced by the heel lifting or foot completely off the ground on your takeoff step at the point of impact with the back of the box. Not really even impact, as much as the slack being taken up by the body. The slack doesn't get picked up by Bob's body until he's already rising up on the toe of his takeoff foot.

The terminology might not have been around then, but the principle was, because the physics of the steel vault demands a free takeoff as it was punishing not to be free.

Great video - thanks for posting.
Last edited by lonestar on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

dougb
PV Whiz
Expertise: elite vaulter - Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.4 m
Favorite Vaulter: Feofanova

Unread postby dougb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:54 pm

Your right about where the takeoff was, The "free take off" terminology is probably confusing me. In any case if you were in or out on a "steel pole" your shoulders and back would definetly let you know about it.
The older I get, The better I was.

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:45 pm

Great clip.....just goes to show you that your step has to be ON!!!
Bob

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:52 am

"The "free take off" terminology is probably confusing me."
First -thanks for the clip -really appreciated it. Secondly re the 'free take off' - all will be clarified in the new version of BTB. :yes: :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Robvaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: college vaulter, youth pole vault coach
Lifetime Best: 5.01
Favorite Vaulter: Wild Bill

Unread postby Robvaulter » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:40 am

my high school coach competed at that meet. He said Gutowski was a freak of nature. He could pop on top of his hands like noone else

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:10 am

Thats awesome! I'm a little confused on a technical aspect of it, if you could help me with that. You said if he was taking off outside, the vault would not go well. So he wouldnt try to use the technically termed "pre-jump" and be at a higher angle to the box before the pole hit? Was it just not thought of back then, or was there something different about the straight pole that would make it undesirable to have your plant 3 inches higher when the pole hit the back of the box?

Either way, thats some awesome video and gutowski was an amazing vaulter!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:52 pm

That might be the first time I've seen a steel or bamboo pole go under the bar. What a push off!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:00 am

Bubba PV wrote:That might be the first time I've seen a steel or bamboo pole go under the bar. What a push off!! Bubba

If any of you old steel vaulters remember,the bottom hand came up and gave you a tremendous pendulum to swing ...then pull, turn and push using both arms once inverted.....there was also momentum. The early days of flexible vaulting the same sliding hand came up nearly together and I witness a HS 14 foot vault being able to just hold a foot higher and do the same thing....for what it's worth!!!
Bob

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:08 am

skyshark177 wrote:does anyone know where Bob was born and/or grew up?

He went to high school at La Jolla HS in La Jolla, CA. There is an article about his death (car accident) in Illustrated History of the Pole Vault.

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”