Vaulters jumping 'like Bubka' - BEFORE Bubka?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
altius
PV Rock Star

Vaulters jumping 'like Bubka' - BEFORE Bubka?

Unread postby altius » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:04 am

Over the past couple of years there have been a few posts implying that several - many? - US vaulters jumped 'like' Bubka, in the 1960s and 70s.

The only vaulters who I have seen who jumped 'like Bubka before Bubka' were folk like Warmerdam whose technique was conceptually the same, and Slusarski of Poland, the 1976 Olympic Champion, who demonstrated perhaps the most critical of the Petrov/Bubka characteristics - an unloaded pole at take off.

So I would really appreciate it if someone could post film of US vaulters - or anyone other than Slusarski - who jumped 'like' Bubka before 1980 - i.e. before Bubka! :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:35 am

Not americans, but these guys definately took off well and were around before Bubka.

Kjell Isaksson
Konstantin Volkov

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 am

Don't have any video to post, but I seem to remember Sweden's Kjell Isaksson (sp?), Germany's Wolfgang Nordwig, and USA's Dave Roberts all using a free takeoff in at least the videos I've seen of their jumps.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:44 pm

Roberts was a vaulter that Yuriy Volkov based a lot of his technique around. Volkov said this one year at the Summit back when he was living in El Paso.

Roberts said that the vault was a pure swing off the ground. He compared it to running, jumping and grabbing a tree branch and swinging to the top.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:56 pm

Alan, I am honestly suprised. I thought you knew your history better than that. What about Bob Richards and Charles Hoff? :D

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:41 pm

Naughty Tim - I am surprised you are sniping at me on this - unless of course your comment was tongue in cheek. I did not want to list a great number of stiff pole vaulters because that would confuse some folk more than a little. Yes they were conceptually all the same - they had to be if they wanted to vault high on stiff poles - and all based their vault on taking off out and a long continuous swing from take off until they came off the pole. You will note that in Chapter 21 of BTB (where Richards is mentioned) I indicated that the best stiff pole vaulters - most notably Warmerdam (I found some drawings of him but not of Hoff etc) were an influence on Petrovs thoughts on technique. The equivalent chapter in BTB2 will do a better job - I hope.

However I hope all respondents will note that I did not merely ask for the names of athletes whom they believed to have jumped like Bubka before Bubka -but actual film of them because I have seen no film of most of the folk mentioned. However I have seen film of Volkov and on the basis of that film (1980 Games) I dont think he qualifies. Film of Slusarski in the same comp suggests that he does. :yes:

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Of course it was tongue in cheek :P and, I think it helps make your point. When Bubka first showed up gripping 17' we could not believe what we were seeing, and had no explanation for it. It was obvious that something strange and new was going on, but, at least in Oklahoma, we had no idea what it was.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:55 pm

:o :rose:

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”