Who is the Best American Pole Vaulter in History

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Best Ever - what else did Bob S. do

Unread postby Decamouse » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:58 am

Go to Munich and have them not use his poles - who was the "other" American who did well there?
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:56 am

1. Hartwig - most consistent ever. does have a world champs indoor silver.
2. Dutch - loses points because of Fraley
3. Bell - didn't jump the highest but 18 years over 18' is extremely impressive. won US titles in 3 different decades. 3rd & 4th at the OG plus i believe he was an '80 boycott olympian.

I believe Jacob Davis had the potential to be the greatest of all time. He jumped 19'4 1/4" 2 weeks before he turned 20. Set the NCAA indoor record in Indianapolis in his warmup pants. because of pain caused a degenerative hip disorder he only jumped a handful of times in practice in college, but not once after his freshman season. I've never seen someone with so much talent not care. He was so burned out he couldn't wait to quit. He quit at the NCAAs his senior season. Pulled a pole out of the bag to warm up, stood there for 10 minutes thinking, laid it on the grass, and walked off.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

dubjones
PV Nerd

Potential

Unread postby dubjones » Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:00 am

I understand what you are saying about Davis, and what you call his "potential", and I disagree. People in the polevault seem to have the idea of potential directly linked with physical stature, which in my view is only part of potential. We see guys, and girls, all the time who have great physical tools, but just don't have desire, or the "head" it takes to jump high.
Take a look at someone like Hartwig, when he was 19 or 20 like Davis he had very little physical tools (potential) but mucho' desire to jump higher. So if Davis had such great potential, as it is being defined here, what did Jeff have?
It is my view that potential moves far beyond physical stature, into the "heads" of athletes. I, as many other people have seen, vaulters who resist change, make bad decision after bad decision, are consistantly hurt and take little or no action to avoid injury, don't train or don't train smartly, don't take the time to learn the event, simply don't want to do it, some who even seem to be afraid of the event. So if someone is big strong and fast, but falls into one or all of these catagories, do they still have great potential? And if so, if someone is mentally strong, physically strong, but isn't fast, do they have potential?
I place much more emphasis on the mental part of the game, because for most the pole vault has slow returns, it takes a long time to get to the top. Many who recieve instant gratification in the event do not continue, because success after that point comes very slowly. The PV takes patience, resolve and determination, because let's face it, we all get kicked around by it better than half the time. Davis lacked some of these qualities when it came to polevaulting, (which I am sure are strong in other areas of his life) and for that I belive he had little potential, and far exceded what mental potential he had.

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:55 am

I agree with dub completely. Although I think I said the same thing earlier in about 4 lines. Big difference in physical ability and what it takes to be really good. LON

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:09 pm

I agree completely with what both of you are saying. The mental side is such a huge factor in your success at that next level. He did have all the tools at one time, but couldn't maintain the mindset needed for continued success. I stand by my statement though that he did, at one time, have the potential to be one of the greatest ever. He does hold the US U20 indoor record (18-6 1/2), is 2nd outdoors (18-5 1/2), is the 2nd youngest to clear 5.80 and is the youngest ever to clear 5.90, along with the NCAA indoor record and 2 NCAA titles. You can't do that on just physical ability alone. He just lost the mental side of the game quickly after that.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:25 pm

I'll agree with that. I watch him jump all the way through highschool, an at one point he was just as good as anyone out there. Lon

natdog
PV Wannabe

Re: Who is the Best American Pole Vaulter in History

Unread postby natdog » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:29 am

provaulter17 wrote:to me it would be joe dial, he was a lil man but he got pretty high for his highth!!!

Billy Olsen definately best American vaulter ever indoors!
run high and hold fast

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:01 am

If Jacob Davis kept vaulting he would have done some amazing things!!!
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

hardflex
PV Whiz

Unread postby hardflex » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:42 pm

Johnny come lately to this but had to get MHO

Depends on what your criterian is, championships, consistency, world records, meet won/loss records, notoriety in the press.

If you have a bamboo award, Dutch would have to get it.

Steel pole has to be Bob Richards. 3 time Olympian, 2 times gold medal (even Bubka hasn't done that). He won the Millrose games 11 years in a row. And in 500 meets was beaten only 4 times.

Fiberglass? Seagren was robbed in Munich, or he'd have 2 golds. Earl Bell would be up there too, because of his longevity, but he was a no show for the most part at the Olympics. Mike Tully was tough in international meets, held the American record. Jeff's got some high bars and had one very consistent season i recall, but his failure to make the Olympic team in his prime year is suspect. Overall, I'd take Seagren in a close call.

Overall, Bob Richards no contest. That they gave it to Dutch at the Summit a couple years ago was a travesty, especially since they specifically included overall impact beyond the actual sport as part of the criterian. He graced the Wheaties boxes for years, if that's an indication of his standing in the sports world. Nuff said.

titojumps
PV Wannabe

Unread postby titojumps » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:02 pm

hey hardflex,

just thought i'd drop in my 2 pennies. you know that both Earl and Mike held the world record, right? and both were medalists in the olympic games. Earl was also the first american to jump 18' overseas. there have been so meny tremendously good pole vaulters that have accomplished great things, and of course, each has added his own unique signature to the sport.

I guess personal criteria really determines who any one indivdual would choose as the "best ever". I admire the feats of all the great vaulters, past and present, and find it personally impossible to distinguish one as the greatest ever.

vaulter580
PV Whiz

bz

Unread postby vaulter580 » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:33 pm

ok, i think you are right there tito,.............
.however, i think that jonny knoxville is a pretty good vaulter!!
.......im gonna sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...............waba-ty......ma damie!!!!!!!!!1
BZ
Arkansas State University
sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

if you want to talk different categories

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:26 pm

In my opinion...
Best vaulter at "steadying" a bar during a jump.
1. Joe Dial
2. Tim McMichaels

Best vaulter to watch.
1. Scott Huffman
2. jacob Davis
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”