Classic Technicians

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
lonestar
PV Lover

Classic Technicians

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:30 pm

Was just looking at Sky Systems 3 and really took notice of some of the great technical vaulters of the 70's.

Kjell Isakkson was a stud! I haven't seen a lot of free takeoffs back in the 70's, but his 18'2 WR in '72 was amazing - free takeoff, lined up and caught everything out of that old Cat (or was it a Sky?).

Wolfgang Nordwig was another awesome jumper - free takeoff, narrow grip and swung to the top like nobody's business. I would have rather seen Seagren take the gold in Munich (pole ban screwed him), but ya gotta give Nordwig credit for the top of his jump.

The other thing is, those guys didn't hold nearly as high as today's elites. I know a lot of Elite Masters guys who said that many elites were on 15' or 15'6 poles in those days with huge pushoffs, jumping on black Cats, Browning Skypole Silaflex's, blue Sky's, and other pieces of crap by today's standards, or were they? How much have poles REALLY improved in 30 years aside from mandrel size and carry-weight?

I wonder how today's vaulters compare in pushoff efficiency to the old guys.

Scary time to jump too! Those old postage-stamp size pits were pretty scary, as were the bags of scrap foam and Cloud-9 inflatable pits.

Huge props to the vault dogs of the '70's! :yes:
Last edited by lonestar on Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:43 pm

Good question about poles from the early days!

I have questioned alot of the eldar statesmen of our event and they seem to think that the poles were about 95-96% as efficient as "modern poles". Less for guys with bad technique and those who tried to really "load" the pole. Basically, the poles were pretty good for the guys who knew how to jump in the first place.

Interestingly, Shell's 18'2" jump becomes 19'1" if you bump it 5%. Not bad for a 15'6" grip.

Barto
"got to be a bad vaulter before you can be a good one"

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”