i'm buying a new laptop

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:24 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:The reason why Macs are so virus free is that less than 5% of computers sold are Macs. Why would a virus writer bother writing something for a Mac when he can go after the other 90+ % computers in the world.

That's the spin the Windows world likes to keep saying but there are a WHOLE LOT of people that write viruses for ego gratification, proof of concept, etc. What better way to make your name than by breeching the Mac OS? And the only times it has been done, to my knowledge, has been under artificially favorable conditions.

PCs are good for things besides doorstops. I own two and use one as part of my home theater rig for streaming and editing high def video transport streams. And remember, Dartfish only runs on PCs.

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:22 pm

I'm vouching for Dell - never had a problem with them, and you can get some pretty good deals if you're patient (like the $750 off of $2000 coupon) - makes for add ons like better batteries easier on the wallet...

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:16 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Apple has an awesome warranty. My last laptop kept breaking, and they fixed it over and over again for free, and then replaced it for free, plus I got a whole new warranty! The new one was better than my old one too. I got a DVD burner, all new software, more RAM, etc.

You can get an educational discount which helps with the price.

For my money, I would prefer a laptop that didn't need fixing than one that kept breaking, even if they did fix it for free.

- master

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

lapto[\p

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Dell, HP etc. are just the names on the cases of the computers. Check out the 64 bit AMD Turion Mobile Processor ML 32, Minimum of 512 MB ram. All the Graphics you can get into the laptop, DVD and gigantic storage.........

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:01 pm

master wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:Apple has an awesome warranty. My last laptop kept breaking, and they fixed it over and over again for free, and then replaced it for free, plus I got a whole new warranty! The new one was better than my old one too. I got a DVD burner, all new software, more RAM, etc.

For my money, I would prefer a laptop that didn't need fixing than one that kept breaking, even if they did fix it for free.

- master

I've had the new one almost a year and never had a problem with it.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:35 pm

Just you wait...

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:57 pm

master wrote:

- master

last i herd, CNET.com said that laptops have a 20% failure rate as a whole. if you get a laptop, dont count on it being perfect! :crying:

Return to “General”