Any Waterskiing Pole Vaulters?

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.

Which do you prefer?

Slalom
21%
Jump
No votes
Trick
No votes
Wakeboard
53%
Kneeboard
11%
Barefoot
16%

Total votes: 19

DecaRag
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Decathlete, 12 years coaching experience
Lifetime Best: 15'3"

Any Waterskiing Pole Vaulters?

Unread postby DecaRag » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Just curious - how many vaulters out there also enjoy waterskiing? Jump? Trick? Slalom? Barefoot? Wakeboard? Kneeboard?

Post responses about your w'skiing experiences.
Former Decathlete - West Texas State University '80-'84

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:33 pm

I compete in 3 event (slalom, trick and jump) at the collegiate level. i'm absolutely terrible at all three events (4.5 @ 34mph, 450pts in 1 pass and 45' in jump), but it sure is fun! somehow i earned a spot as captain of the Hope College water ski team!

DecaRag
PV Fan

Unread postby DecaRag » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:03 pm

Isn't w'skiing in MI and IL a short season? I'll bet the water is pretty cold...

I learned to ski when I was 6 years old. My dad was a high school FB and T&F coach, so that gave us time during the summers to waterski. He talked me into going over a jump once, then my sister as well. Good times! :D

I've found that pole vaulters and waterskiiers seem to have the same interests and personalities. Both are athletic and enjoy the excitement of going fast, trying new things, and improving their skills. I never competed in waterskiing until after I left college and the decathlon - started going to some novice w'ski tournaments in slalom and trick, and learned to barefoot. Enjoyed it alot, but figured that if I skiied at tournaments - I got about 10-20 minutes on the water, where as if I stayed at my local lake to ski, I could ski all weekend for about the same cost.

Also, my feet (that are worn out from years of running and jumping) seem to enjoy the water much more than continued pounding on the track. :confused: So, now I just coach T&F and enjoy summer's at the lake. :yes:

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:35 pm

I'm pretty big into wakeboarding, although I really don't get to do it anymore. I wakeboarded in Indiana growing up from April until October. Its called a drysuit. Very good investment. :yes:
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:54 pm

DecaRag wrote:Isn't w'skiing in MI and IL a short season? I'll bet the water is pretty cold...

right after september 11, a bunch of chicago skiiers did a little fundraiser and we skied on the Fox River outside of Chicago on December 1! the water was 37 degrees and the air was colder :eek: but, it was for a good cause, and 114 skiiers raised over $12,000!

The collegiate water ski season goes from the weekend after labor day until mid/late october for nationals. it can get pretty cold the last few weeks up here in MI.

I doubt i will compete outside of college. as you said, you barley get 10 minutes on the water! i go for the fun of it. lets say that college water ski tourneys have a rather "active" social element as well. we know how to have a good time O:-)

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Slalom and Wakeboarding are just my second two favorite past times beside polevaulting

DecaRag what lake do u go to In Ok
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

DecaRag
PV Fan

Unread postby DecaRag » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:50 am

We have a small city lake - about a mile from my house. It's busy on late afternoons on the weekends, but not at all early mornings and evenings during the week. We used to have an active ski club, with slalom course and jump - but seems as though the active members have either moved, aged, or lost interest.

Some others around here like Kaw Lake.

Lake Ponca.

cpmathis
PV Newbie

Unread postby cpmathis » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:24 pm

I'm all about wakeboarding. I like getting the big air, go figure. But yeah I normally get out a few times a month to Clinton lake if any of you know where that's at. Also like to go to Lake of the Ozarks once or twice, but that's more for partying and such since there are so many people going there now. Makes the water way to rough.

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:16 pm

Ponca Lake is choice conditions during the day. I grew up slaloming on that lake.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:35 pm

I got chills down my spine. I skied in shows for 12 years. kneeboarded on the water ski tour for one year. My best events are kneeboarding and barefooting, Could do a little on freestyle jump but really hated hitting a jump at 40mph with 3-6 guys and throwing a front flip. A couple sprianed knees was enough. I've done just about everything --
barefoot
kneeboard
jump
slalom
shoe ski
trick ski
wake board
air chair
mixed doubles
pyramids
ski on a conoe paddle
sheet of plywood and various other pieces of lumber!
been a human ski

I think growing up hanging from a rope really helped me pole vault in HS with out a coach!
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

DecaRag
PV Fan

Unread postby DecaRag » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:39 pm

Slalom skiing (correctly) forces good body position with the rope pull with the hips forward and the shoulders straight, and the arms straight - somewhat like being in a good invert position but before the turn and pull on a vault.

If you have ever slalomed in competition, you know how quickly you get behind if you are out of position - just like how quickly you bail out of a badly executed vault.

A lot of similarities - maybe the reason many vaulters also like waterskiing, along with the challenge and the thrill of both. ;)

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Waterskiing

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:51 pm

haven't been on waterskis for a long time. But I used to be a professional hang glider pilot! The last time I was on waterskis we hooked a 1000' line to a ski nautique and a hang glider outfitted with a glider release mechanism. Actually, we never touched the water. We pilled up about 20' of line right in front of the glider on shore. the boat went straight down the lake at 18 mph. Once the line began to pull on the coiled bit we shook the glider and the boat slammed the throttle full open. When the line got the the control bar of the glider you lean back trying to stop the boat. A half a second later you were 500' up and climbing. Woo Hoo!

Return to “General”