animal cruelty

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
Todd Haire
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School vaulter, Masters vaulter, fan
Lifetime Best: 3.81
Favorite Vaulter: Bill Halverson

animal cruelty

Unread postby Todd Haire » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Hey Everybody,
I got this letter today from the PETA organization. It outlined some of the truly horrific and barbaric cruelties imposed on
dogs and cats in the illegal fur trade in China. It was quite shocking, moving and thought provoking.
PETA is the butt of some jokes in the media and they are pretty over the top in getting thier message out but I did want to
encourage all the PVPers to at least visit thier website, PETA.org and get an education about what goes on out there.
If you are moved by what you read, as I was, then tell your friends and your facebook friends and thier friends etc. and
maybe the pole vaulting community can make some impact on this terrible atrocity.It's worth a try.

Bottom line: Go to the website. Don't buy fur. Avoid buying Chinese products.
Thanks,
Todd

gymnastsrock
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: too hard!

Re: animal cruelty

Unread postby gymnastsrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:04 pm

PETA can be pretty extreme, but some of the things they say are really important for people to hear.

You'd probably like the movie Food, Inc. as well
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. Lao Tzu

grubbs.randall
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14 ft
Favorite Vaulter: Bubba Sparks

Unread postby grubbs.randall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:31 pm

PETA is a terrorist organization. :mad:
Why do you think animals are made of meat (nourishment) and fur (Clothing). :D
Todd Haire wrote:Hey Everybody,
I got this letter today from the PETA organization. It outlined some of the truly horrific and barbaric cruelties imposed on
dogs and cats in the illegal fur trade in China. It was quite shocking, moving and thought provoking.
PETA is the butt of some jokes in the media and they are pretty over the top in getting thier message out but I did want to
encourage all the PVPers to at least visit thier website, PETA.org and get an education about what goes on out there.
If you are moved by what you read, as I was, then tell your friends and your facebook friends and thier friends etc. and
maybe the pole vaulting community can make some impact on this terrible atrocity.It's worth a try.

Bottom line: Go to the website. Don't buy fur. Avoid buying Chinese products.
Thanks,
Todd
Pole Vault; Men invented it, Women will prefect it.

Todd Haire
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School vaulter, Masters vaulter, fan
Lifetime Best: 3.81
Favorite Vaulter: Bill Halverson

Unread postby Todd Haire » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:18 am

Your narrowmindedness is overwhelming.Did you even go to the website to educate yourself as to the topic?
Food can be derived from non-animal sources and anyone from down south knows cotton is for clothing.
You do not seriously think smilies and mad faces add wieght to your broad statements, do you?

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:31 pm

grubbs.randall wrote:PETA is a terrorist organization. :mad:

You mean like Al-Qaeda? :dazed:

Why do you think animals are made of meat (nourishment) and fur (Clothing). :D
Do you eat dog or can? And do you wear there hid/fur? :mad:

The original post only referred to dogs and cats. If you feel it is ok to abuse any living creature, I feel very sorry for you.

grubbs.randall
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14 ft
Favorite Vaulter: Bubba Sparks

Unread postby grubbs.randall » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 am

You are young and naive, but that’s ok.
Is the video disgusting, Yes!
As we sit in our nice homes, playing Xbox on our large screen HDTV’s, we are oblivious to what is really happening around the world.
I have traveled to many countries and seen things that would make a grown man cry.
I have seen kids running down an ally with sticks to kill a diseased infested rat, My first thought was they are killing the rodent to keep it from entering their home. To find out later, they’re casing there diner and if a dog or cat was available. Well; it a gourmet meal.
I may be narrow minded and have little to no sympathy for animals. Therefore I would never put an animal’s life over humans.
So; we can agree to disagree on this topic. But; I am please you young kids are passionate about making this world a better place. :D
Todd Haire wrote:Your narrowmindedness is overwhelming.Did you even go to the website to educate yourself as to the topic?
Food can be derived from non-animal sources and anyone from down south knows cotton is for clothing.
You do not seriously think smilies and mad faces add wieght to your broad statements, do you?
Pole Vault; Men invented it, Women will prefect it.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 am

If you want a role model for animal treatment, it should be St. Francis... Had great love for people, but also for animals.

He was also not vegetarian. ;)
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:03 pm

I can't watch videos like that, it tears at my heart. I've got a soft spot for dogs. (Cats, not so much. But i don't want them tortured.) That is just horrible. Its illegal and still goes on, so what else can you do about it? Nothing much we can do over here in America about it besides say how terrible it is. And if there's something we can do about it, we're probably not going to take the time out to do it...

So do i hate what's going on? Yes.
Am i going to do something about it? Nope, i'm kind of powerless on my own.
Am I going to organize enough people to try and make a difference in a foreign country?
Nope, I'd rather use that time to train to become better at polevault :D

That being said, I'd like to comment on the vegetarian thing: I think that i have these nice pointy incisor and canine teeth for a reason... And that reason is delicious. :yes:
suck it up.

Return to “General”