High School recruiting tiff revisits Supreme Court

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

High School recruiting tiff revisits Supreme Court

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:21 pm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/preps/312039_court18.html

Recruiting tiff revisits Supreme Court
Academy's 10-year battle still based on First Amendment

By TERESA M. WALKER
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BRENTWOOD, Tenn. -- The U.S. Supreme Court gets the case again today: Did a Tennessee high school football power violate recruiting rules or simply exercise free speech?

The 10-year-old dispute pits Brentwood Academy, a wealthy private school in suburban Nashville, against the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association, the state body governing high school sports.

Brentwood Academy sent a letter inviting 12 eighth-graders to attend spring football practice in 1997. The students' parents already had paid deposits to attend the school.

But the athletic association said the letter violated rules against recruiting high school players, and it penalized the school with a $3,000 fine and four years' probation. School officials unsuccessfully appealed twice before suing.

There have been three appeals to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court and one previous trip to the U.S. Supreme Court. Mediation ordered by a federal judge failed to resolve the case.

The federal appeals court has ruled in favor of the school, saying the letter amounts to protected speech under the First Amendment. If that ruling stands, it would prevent all high school associations from enforcing recruiting rules, say lawyers for the TSSAA.

"I don't know how in the world any of these associations can continue to operate if that is the standard," said attorney Rick Colbert, who represents the athletic association. "There's no way for them to prevent recruiting if recruiting speech has to be permitted."

Brentwood Academy officials say they support rules to prevent giving out cash or presents to football recruits. But headmaster Curt Masters said the letter was a harmless note to students already signed -- with money paid -- to attend the school.

"What are they really trying to protect from?" Masters said.

Attorney Lee Barfield, who has represented the school from the start, said the TSSAA is essentially asking the Supreme Court for an exemption from the First Amendment so it can crack down on recruiting violations.

"We say they should not do that," Barfield said.

In 2001, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in favor of Brentwood Academy, saying the athletic association acted in a quasi-governmental capacity and could be sued.

"Statistically speaking, you don't ever really expect a case to get here once, much less twice," Colbert said.

The NCAA, the National School Boards Association and the National Federation of State High School Associations have filed briefs supporting the TSSAA because they say they need broad power to protect children.

But Brentwood Academy has the support of the National Women's Law Center, which is worried about holding government accountable for gender discrimination, the Association of Christian Schools International and the National Association of Independent Schools.

A ruling is expected by the end of June.

If Brentwood Academy wins, the school could ask the athletic association to pay for its legal expenses, and that could send the not-for-profit association into bankruptcy.

Brentwood Academy, where tuition is $14,450 for the 2007-08 school year, had spent more than $500,000 on this case through the first six months, Colbert said.

"We're the defendant. We've had no choice but to defend ourselves ... The only way we could have ever made it go away was just raise our hands, give up all rights, say, 'We lose. You win. How much do we owe you?' "

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:40 am

How is it recruiting to solicit participation from kids already attending your school? :dazed: :confused:

That would be like fining a teacher or a coach for saying to a current student, "Hey, you should come try out for the ____ team." Imagine what that would do to a high school sport like track if teachers and coaches could be fined up the wazoo for encouraging a student to try a sport!

It looks to me like the TSSAA was over reaching. It makes me wonder whether their initial fine was a just a knee-jerk reaction to the letters and if they even looked at who the letters were addressed to in the first place.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:08 am

decanuck wrote:How is it recruiting to solicit participation from kids already attending your school? :dazed: :confused:

That would be like fining a teacher or a coach for saying to a current student, "Hey, you should come try out for the ____ team." Imagine what that would do to a high school sport like track if teachers and coaches could be fined up the wazoo for encouraging a student to try a sport!

It looks to me like the TSSAA was over reaching. It makes me wonder whether their initial fine was a just a knee-jerk reaction to the letters and if they even looked at who the letters were addressed to in the first place.

Well they weren't actually attending the school yet (they were 8th graders) but they had paid their deposits for the next school year, so it's clear that they were intendingh to attend the school.

I also think the TSSAA was overreacting.

Return to “General”