Great fundraiser: Sell Christmas trees

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Great fundraiser: Sell Christmas trees

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:18 pm

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... /611100355

CCHS track team gears up to sell 800 Christmas trees
ZOE ROSE
FALLON STAR PRESS CORRESPONDENT
Posted: 11/10/2006

The first year the Churchill County High School track team sold Christmas trees as a fundraiser, they only had 150 trees. This year, Coach Steve Heck expects to have almost 800 Nobles and Douglas firs for sale, but be forewarned--last year, the trees sold out in three days.
This year's sale starts Dec. 2, in the parking lot in front of the Dollar Store in the Valley Plaza Shopping Center, owned by Fallon insurance agent Mark Hammond and his wife, Linda, a Fallon teacher.
"They have let us use that space for the past four years on weekends in December," Heck said. "It really helps us out."
Taking pre-orders for the trees also helps Heck gauge how many trees to buy and he passes that on in savings to the early buyers.
"Pre-sale prices are $30 for the firs and $50 for the nobles and that goes up $5 on Dec. 2," he said.
Trees range in size from 5 to 8 feet.
"But, if someone needs a bigger one and calls me now, we can special order it," Heck said.
The first few years of the fundraiser the coaches drove to Oregon to get the trees.
"One year we went up, they were still in the fields cutting them for us," he said.
"The trees are just as fresh when we get them now," he said.
"People have come to expect the quality so a lot of them just tell us to pick one out and deliver it to them," he said. The team delivers the trees for free.
The team uses the money raised to buy equipment. Last year, they purchased high jump and pole vault pits.
"We got a high jump pit for about $3,000 which was fairly cheap and the pole vault pit which was between $8,000 and $10,000," he said.
"But, we should be able to get a good 10 years or more out of them."
Team members can earn their "spirit packs"--a uniform, sweats, hat or visor-- for free if they pre-sell five trees. They also help staff the site on weekends.
On Dec. 2, starting at 9 a.m., people who have pre-ordered trees can pick them up, said Heck. The sale is open to the public beginning at 11 a.m. that day.
Next year's track season will begin the last week in February.
For information and to pre-order trees, contact Steve Heck at 423-0154 or any CCHS track team member.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:17 pm

christmas tree lots are a great way to make some money..

i've worked at one for 6 years...

the lot i worked at let you take the trees to their cars, tie the tree on and usually make the tip...

GREAT part time job to make that holiday cash!!
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

Return to “General”