Critique my vault (new vids august 14th)

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:44 pm

Some good ways "in general" to see good take off plants/jumps, is watch the best. Go on the internet find some shots of the best vaulters in the world and watch their jump frame by frame, watch how they drop the pole, watch how long they drive before they start to swing, watch how they run... For the most part, everything in the pole vault is very specific. If you can find olympic footage or footage of Bubka run it side by side your own jumps and compair your diffrences/what you do well.

My personal opinion is that Derek Miles hits the box really hard and really well. So If i were you, Im not.... But if i was... I would look at his take off.... As well as Bubka, Hartwig, Gibilisco, Dub Jones (if you can find it) and so on... www.stabhoch.com great clip site....
[/code]

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:03 pm

I've got some clips of Dub at the Beach Vault if you want them.

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:40 pm

unfortunately that website doesn't work for me. I dunno why, I think something is wrong with my quick time.

Yeah I would like to see some vids of Dub, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Okay, so I went to HIP again, and I worked on some issues. My steps were off, and it was really preventing me from swinging, I think. I would plant under with the pole bent (as you can see from the pic I posted), and that would be the only reason why the pole would bend, because I planted it way under.

However, now that I got my steps right, I'm not bending the pole as much. So I think I have to really work on poping the bottom arm up instead of bending it all the way back. I'm kinda absorbing the shock and that's messing up my technique.

When I do pop-ups, my technique is much better than when I try to really jump. I think that's because the bend and my terrible "shock-absorbing" plant is impairing my ability to swing from the toes quickly and with a long trail leg.

So if I kept my bottom arm straight, it would keep my body stabilized and aligned, and it would allow me to use proper techniqe. Right?
Cause when I do pop-ups, I don't get into that shock absorbing plant and I'm not bending the pole, but I use proper technique and I get vertical. So it must mean that the bend and the weak plant are hindering my jumps.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Please tell me if what I said is correct or incorrect. And please do correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT* Also, do you guys have any suggestion on learning to punch out with the bottom arm and get more bend?

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:00 am

sooch90
PV Pro

Unread postby sooch90 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:56 pm

thanks for the videos. I think I fixed my plant a little.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 67&q=ed+oh

any advice?

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:10 pm

From a short run your step can be inside or outside a bit... and it seems you are worrying about it a little too much. I only say this because i can tell when you are running down the runway you stride out your last 2 steps in order for a good take off... but that wont matter much if you arent holding the good speed you have in your run. Its hard... but try to just not worry about it... just speed up and take off on your last 3 steps even if it feels inside or outside... then let your coach adjust your steps.
On top of that, your bottom arm and hand collapse real bad at your take off. This tells me either you are hesitating to get the full bend out of the pole... or the pole is just too stiff. For now just find a pole 10 Ibs softer, and push up with both hands... or in the words of my coach, "Just BOOM, give that pole some pressure with the bottom arm!"
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

sooch90
PV Pro

Unread postby sooch90 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:37 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:From a short run your step can be inside or outside a bit... and it seems you are worrying about it a little too much. I only say this because i can tell when you are running down the runway you stride out your last 2 steps in order for a good take off... but that wont matter much if you arent holding the good speed you have in your run. Its hard... but try to just not worry about it... just speed up and take off on your last 3 steps even if it feels inside or outside... then let your coach adjust your steps.
On top of that, your bottom arm and hand collapse real bad at your take off. This tells me either you are hesitating to get the full bend out of the pole... or the pole is just too stiff. For now just find a pole 10 Ibs softer, and push up with both hands... or in the words of my coach, "Just BOOM, give that pole some pressure with the bottom arm!"

Hey vault3erb0y, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I guess I got a little too hung up on the steps being off, but I really felt that was messing me up.

Anyway, yes I do need to really work on my bottom arm. However, when I try to punch out with my bottom arm, I always end up keeping it straight instead of collapsing it. I guess I gotta learn to collapse it after I punch out with the bottom arm.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Try thinking punch up instead of punch out (with your bottom arm). That ought to help keep you from blocking out.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:55 pm

The first one is closer to where you want to be. Later...Mike

sooch90
PV Pro

Unread postby sooch90 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:29 pm

Question.

I was wondering if maybe I'm looking at the bar or maybe not collapsing my arm enough LATER on in the jump. Not in the initial plant, but when I start rocking back. Could that be the reason why I'm not inverting?

I feel like I'm close to inverting, but I just need to fix up some more technical issues and get on longer (but lighter) poles. I dunno what do you guys think?

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:00 pm

well first off you are carrieing the pole too low on your run, you do seem to take off under alot and when you swing you don't drop your shoulders or in easier terms you don't rotate your shoulders while you rotate your hips, it should be a double motino type thing, as of the plant, the one on the left looks better, for the plant you want to be on your toes about to be off the grownd before the pole bends, your arms can go behind your head which will help you chest get in front of you which should help your swing, but steps are always problems for us now because we have yet to get even close enough consistency down. hope it helps
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

sooch90
PV Pro

Unread postby sooch90 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:35 am

Can someone please answer this question?

If you watch my august 14th vault, you will notice that my bottom elbow is on the left side of the pole when I try to invert.

I watched a lot of other people who could invert vault, and I noticed that their elbow is on the inner side of the pole(closer to their body). I also noticed that their pole turns sideways after the plant allowing them to put their elbow on the inner side of the pole.

My pole doesn't turn and I can't get my elbow in the innerside of the pole.

Is this hurting my inversion? How do I fix this?

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”