Videos - Tear me apart!!

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
FlyBoyGB21
PV Newbie

Videos - Tear me apart!!

Unread postby FlyBoyGB21 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:03 pm

hey I'm from Wisconsin I just graduated and I finished the "official track season" with 15-10. the two videos are of 15-6 and then my pr 15-10 rip it apart if you wish! lol

15-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJjOJ9Gv0cw

15-10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2srtQhLuU

there was a big controversey (if I spelled that right) for 15-10...it was originally set at 16 and was measured very primitively...but hey...it's a PR

many other Wisconsinites may know the story as well
"Good my jump, it will be done" - Sergey Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:26 pm

Awesome jumping!! yes its a PR, and quite a PR it is! Your run looks really solid with a great pole drop, its hard to tell how fast you are actually going, but you are clearing moving with enough speed to get through that pole. I notice a good knee drive at take off, but it seems that right out of this you are swinging your trail leg. Try to throw the runway back at take off, get in that good inverted C for a split second longer, then swing first at the hips, so that your chest stays square and penetrating, until your feet hit the pole, then start dropping the shoulders and move up the pole. Awesome jumps, and from here on its little tweaks, but i would say just try to hold the drive a little more before swinging, and dont drop your shoulders too early. :yes:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:19 pm

at your plant, your hands jerk back too much. Don't get me wrong...you do need to let your arms come back, but if you come back too much you lose enery. Try to press that bottom arm out at the initial plant, you do a great job of re-straightening you arms as you swing, but you need that initial punch to get you going. If you can get that bigger puch, i'd bet you'd be able to get on bigger poles.

by the way... what size pole are you using? How much do you weigh?

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby Powervaulter » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:26 pm

From the looks of the 15'6" jump, I thought that 15'10" was going to be really close, but you actually got some better hip height on that. Congratulations, and I'm sure that there is more to come!

One suggestion I might make is to be more active with the arms... driving up off the ground, and then rowing with the arms.

Good luck with the rest of the season! :D

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:39 pm

you look like bobby most's twin brother. yeah i thought your hips were gonna get stuck on that last jump aswell
Last edited by KYLE ELLIS on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

FlyBoyGB21
PV Newbie

Unread postby FlyBoyGB21 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:37 pm

oops sorry...forgot some details:

for the 15-6 jump I was using a 14-6 175 PacerFX (I've made 15-9.5 on that pole)

for the 15-10 I was using a 15-6 160 Pacer Carbon holding at about 14-9

I weigh about 155 pounds and I'm about 5-11ish
"Good my jump, it will be done" - Sergey Bubka

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:52 pm

at your plant, your hands jerk back too much. Don't get me wrong...you do need to let your arms come back, but if you come back too much you lose enery. Try to press that bottom arm out at the initial plant, you do a great job of re-straightening you arms as you swing, but you need that initial punch to get you going. If you can get that bigger puch, i'd bet you'd be able to get on bigger poles

I think the problem is that you're at least a foot under at takeoff, so your arms are already behind you when you jump up. The rest doesn't look bad though, but if you could get that takeoff step on, you'd definitely be jumping higher.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: Videos - Tear me apart!!

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:57 pm

FlyBoyGB21 wrote:hey I'm from Wisconsin I just graduated and I finished the "official track season" with 15-10. the two videos are of 15-6 and then my pr 15-10 rip it apart if you wish! lol

15-6

15-10

there was a big controversey (if I spelled that right) for 15-10...it was originally set at 16 and was measured very primitively...but hey...it's a PR

Email Kyle Ellis and Tim McMichael about your techneque find a video of Joe Dial and with a few modifications you will jump very high in the future. Good luck you are on the right track.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Re: Videos - Tear me apart!!

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:18 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:
FlyBoyGB21 wrote:hey I'm from Wisconsin I just graduated and I finished the "official track season" with 15-10. the two videos are of 15-6 and then my pr 15-10 rip it apart if you wish! lol

15-6

15-10

Email Kyle Ellis and Tim McMichael about your techneque find a video of Joe Dial and with a few modifications you will jump very high in the future. Good luck you are on the right track.

the thing is some people cant jump like tim and joe. and what i was gonna say earlier but didnt is he would probably have better success copying off someone like bobby most or other "swing type" vaulters. to me it looks like his natural jump is on the other side of the spectrum of tim and joe but it is an effective jump for him, so hes gonna have to figure his own way out. everybody is going to tell him gets your arms up at your plant, drive more at takeoff, dont lose your hips so fast or whatever etc. etc. but if he did all that he probably wouldnt jump as high because his timing and natural flow would be messed up. does that make any sense, lol???

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:32 pm

That makes perfect sense, but isnt the whole point of making your form different to get yourself better? You might have to change things at first, but in the long run it becomes natural and it flows. For example, take tiger woods. He didnt have anyone really telling him to change his golf swing, but he did it on his own, more than once, to make it more efficient. Yes it takes a while to get used to, and you might not get much better until you get that, but that you start seeing improvement. You can argue either way, and i dont try to assume i am an expert on vaulting or any technical sport for that matter, those are just my views on changing your form.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:40 am

well from first hand experience i have seen jumpers very simular to his style try to change their technique and crash and burn and others they just cant do it. for example my best friend doesnt jump anything like tim mcmicheal but he had a unique jump so what tim did was work with him on his run and takeoff and left the rest of it alone because he could never jump like tim. the famous soft left arm straight leg swing but pulling like crazy with the left and getting a forever pushoff.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:47 pm

Oh i see, yea changing little things that dont make a difference in the long run, of course you dont need to change those.... for example dropping your head during your shoulder drop or the timing of your turn on the way up. I thought you were saying dont change something like, a bent trail leg or a constantly straight bottom arm. I see what you are saying.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”