New Videos

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

New Videos

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Mon May 29, 2006 2:09 am

Just thought I'd let the world know that I have some new videos up on http://www.putfile.com/cooleo111

Any suggestions are more than appreciated and of course I'll take them into consideration. The latest vaults are the sectionals ones...I already plan on working on my swing and invert all this week in practice, and I've been told I need to get on some bigger and longer poles. Also, it was very hot the day of secionals after my "highest vault ever" so my standards were at 28, but I should have brought them in.

My specs are:
5'10" 138 lbs.
Gripping about 13'6" to 13'7.5" on a 14'5" 169 Essx Carbon (rated on a 14' scale, its a 18.3 I think)

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Mon May 29, 2006 9:59 am

looking at your 14'3 make:
takeoff looks good, last step could be down a little quicker, but your steps are right on. I think your swing is fine, but when you start dropping your shoulders and extending, your legs get too far away from your pole. Ummm, I dont really know why, cuz it looks like you finished your swing fine, you can see that your feet hit the pole. Maybe it's because you thrust your hips out instead of up more.
On your "14'5 again so close" attempt you stay next to the pole a lot better.
Just another thought: maybe you're trying to pull too early

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 29, 2006 10:19 am

Looking at 14'3 i see a ton of good in your vault.
1.) step is right on, and your swing is powerful
2.) you have good control of the pole, almost all your attempts look the same.
3.) you are going through that pole very nicely, it looks like your standards are almost all the way back and you get through them on a generally short run

some things i think would help you.
1.) as soon as your trail leg is underneath you, you try to keep your shoulders upright a little more, until the trail leg is about 45 degrees farther in its rotation. This should keep you moving into the pit better, it just seems like you start dropping the shoulders a little early.
2.) when you swing, you swing to vertical, but you actually need to swing a little farther. When you inverted and start to pull, you pull very nicely. But your feet arent quite vertical, so its shooting you out horizontally a little. I notice in the last jump at 14'5 you did much much better, if you slow it down you are completely vertical shooting straight up, thats what you want to see until you pike over the bar.

In the words of Morry Sanders, looks like the good outwieghs the bad!
great jumps keep up the great work! :yes:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Mon May 29, 2006 5:32 pm

i only looked at your 14-3 jump...but the main things i saw were that your trail leg collapses right after you leave the ground, and you are not kicking straight up and you drop out early.

everything else is great, and if you make small adjustments you can go much higher :yes:

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Mon May 29, 2006 6:11 pm

Vault3rboy, Ur the man, that's the stuff I wanted to say, you said it very well.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 29, 2006 6:30 pm

fx wrote:Vault3rboy, Ur the man, that's the stuff I wanted to say, you said it very well.
hehe sweet!! I basically copied the format that Morry Sanders of Arkansas used when he critiqued my jump, its pretty straight forward.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 pm

I looked at your 14'3 jump. You are under by at least 12-15". You can tell because your pole is already bending and you are still flat footed on your takeoff. This is bringing your hips under and giving you a vertial ride. Also, you never come around the pole. You never line up on the front of the pole and are flagging out. You are coming off the pole way too early. Look at BTB Chapter 6 (or Bubka's 6.11 jump) You must be fully extended before your pole begins to strike the back of the box. That gives you the opportunity to get a vicious kick/whip with a straight trail leg, get your chest up through your shoulders and engage your shoulder muscles to get behind the pole. You need to be rotating around the pole which you never do. Spend some time over the summer working from 3-4 strides. If you come around the pole, you should be able to land with the pole between your knees. If you can jump about 12" over your grip from 3-4 strides, you are getting it.
LPVG

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”