15'6" PR -- Video Critique

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

15'6" PR -- Video Critique

Unread postby theczar » Mon May 15, 2006 6:11 pm

I finally broke the 15' mark!

Jump progression goes 15, 15-3, 15-6, and a good attempt at 15-9.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0658905857

Please give me advice! I know I can go higher, i'm on a 15' 185 and my next biggest pole is a 16'1" 185.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Mon May 15, 2006 6:46 pm

everything looks really slow.... i think it would help you get some blow on the bigger pole but i dont think you could get in the pit with it but the form looks pretty good
pain is only temporary victory is forever

EPVaulter1
PV Wannabe

Unread postby EPVaulter1 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:05 pm

is that a skypole that ur using now?
what is the 16'1"?
... just try workin on your speed is what i would say from just looking at ur video, i could be wrong though... sometimes videos can be deceiving
but great job... i wish i could clear 15'6"
RJ
130lbs
5'6"
PR - 13'0"

Just Go!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 15, 2006 9:46 pm

your run is very very controlled, which is good. It looks so controlled that it makes me wonder whether you could run faster. Basically your swing is what is getting you through on that pole, its insanely good. So thats one thing, you look like you have a quick turn over but try to make it faster by getting a little more length between each step, maybe do a ton of bounders.

Secondly, i noticed at least with the 15'9 you are lowering the pole pretty slow. When you have to carry the weight of the pole, sometimes it tends to slow you down. It feels okward, but do some pole runs and try to let it start dropping on its own at about 4 lefts to go. I only say this because, i used to hold the pole at an angle for my last 4 steps, and it was slowing me down. Once i got that run down i got a lot faster and got on some bigger poles. Your vault itself looks very solid, just work on being agressive the last few steps and as fast as you can. If you jump 15'9 with that speed (basically, you did), i could see you jumping at least 16'3 16'6 this year with some extra speed. Great job man!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Tue May 16, 2006 1:10 am

EPVaulter1 wrote:is that a skypole that ur using now?
what is the 16'1"?

yeah, that's a skypole(flex is kind of soft?... i think its about 17.5), and the 16'1" is a Pacer with flex 18.2, and i have gotten in on it a few times (out of like 100 attempts on it) holding at a little more than 15, but i am nowhere near confident enough to use it in a meet.

thanks for the tips, but as far as the run, i've been trying the pole drop form for a while, and the jumps in the video are right after i started trying that, so thats why it seems like i'm dropping it slow because i'm just getting used to it.

also...those poles are the biggest ones we have, but the flex seems to be to soft for me. the one i'm using in the video is really easy to get on for a 15' pole, and everything off the top is all me, and not the pole. so i think i need a stiffer one...or do i need a bigger weight? or both? I know i can get on a stiffer pole, because i have used a 14-6 195 flex 16.3 (i dont have access to this pole anymore, and i weigh 175-ish) and got in easily with good pop off the top. should i invest in a bigger pole?

Texasvaulter07
PV Whiz

Unread postby Texasvaulter07 » Tue May 16, 2006 8:37 am

i would go with a stiffer pole to get more from it off the top and then worry about moving to a longer pole because right now you're not really blowing through on the pole you're on
Vault Old School wrote:Hey I was just wondering if anybody out there knew Bubka's Height, Weight, Body Fat%, etc. when he was competing?

bjvando wrote:i heard he was 7 ft tall, with a negative body-fat percentage......

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Tue May 16, 2006 8:42 pm

Peter,

Congratulations, you are jumping great. If you are running from six rights you may want to back up to at least 7, 8 or 9 rights. Going from a 15 ft 185 to 16ft 185 is a very challenging jump to a bigger pole. Keep things simple, do not do anything extreme. Check out http://www.stabhochsprung.com/ and watch the videos of the vaulters (Bubka and Gibilisco Guiseppe 5.85). You have good technique and will continue to get better with the support you have. Good luck the rest of the season.

theczar wrote:
EPVaulter1 wrote:is that a skypole that ur using now?
what is the 16'1"?

yeah, that's a skypole(flex is kind of soft?... i think its about 17.5), and the 16'1" is a Pacer with flex 18.2, and i have gotten in on it a few times (out of like 100 attempts on it) holding at a little more than 15, but i am nowhere near confident enough to use it in a meet.

thanks for the tips, but as far as the run, i've been trying the pole drop form for a while, and the jumps in the video are right after i started trying that, so thats why it seems like i'm dropping it slow because i'm just getting used to it.

also...those poles are the biggest ones we have, but the flex seems to be to soft for me. the one i'm using in the video is really easy to get on for a 15' pole, and everything off the top is all me, and not the pole. so i think i need a stiffer one...or do i need a bigger weight? or both? I know i can get on a stiffer pole, because i have used a 14-6 195 flex 16.3 (i dont have access to this pole anymore, and i weigh 175-ish) and got in easily with good pop off the top. should i invest in a bigger pole?

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Sun May 28, 2006 4:45 pm

congrats on the PR man. One thing i've noticed from looking at all of your videos is first of all that you're getting BETTER. much better. another thing i have noticed is that you have a lot of near makes where you seem to come down on the bar. One very simple thing that you can do to help this is to simply turn your thumbs down to turn your elbows out on top. this hollows out your chest really well and you will find yourself coming down on less and less bars. i had the same problem earlier this year, and this thelped me a lot. its not something that takes a lot of work, you only need to work it during practice whenever you can and then it will become muscle memory. good luck dude go get 16'

jeff
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon May 29, 2006 4:10 pm

You are doing a lot of things very well. The only fault I can see, and I don't know what you mean by a slow pole drop so this may be something you are trying to do; is that your pole tip is way to close to the ground before you start your plant. Your left elbow and wrist are above the pole for most of your run. This makes the pole very heavy. In my opinion, the plant should start with the pole tip no lower than even with your eyes. Your left elbow and wrist should be below the pole for most of the run. Watch any of the videos on stabhochsprung.com and you will see this is the case with most of the good jumpers.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon May 29, 2006 4:12 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:You are doing a lot of things very well. The only fault I can see, and I don't know what you mean by a slow pole drop so this may be something you are trying to do; is that your pole tip is way to close to the ground before you start your plant. Your left elbow and wrist are above the pole for most of your run. This makes the pole very heavy. In my opinion, the plant should start with the pole tip no lower than even with your eyes. Your left elbow and wrist should be below the pole for most of the run. Watch any of the videos on stabhochsprung.com and you will see this is the case with most of the good jumpers.
This is because its hard to carry a 17 foot pole without getting under it, lol. Although the pole drop should be smooth like you are saying, so that you arent reaching out just to keep your body upright when you run.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue May 30, 2006 3:44 am

A good drill is to try to do your complete run and plant motion with your hands about six inches apart. You have to time up a free fall of the pole from vertical to the track. It's almost impossible, but trying it is a good education in how to make the pole feel lighter by timing up the fall of the pole tip.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”