Can I make 16?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.

Can I make 16 or Higher this year?

Yes
57%
No
14%
Maybe
29%

Total votes: 14

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:00 pm

Your timing is off. Just looks like you're about 3 frames behind when the pole recoils and that's probably due to some of the things already mentioned (i.e. knee drop). Everything, especially your drive knee has got to move up and move up fast or you'll get stuck in that same position flagging out. I'll bet if you kept that knee drive up and trail leg straight until you were a little more inverted you wouldn't flag out near as much and you would have much better timing with the pole.

Can you jump 16' this year? Maybe not this season, but if you work smart through the summer, you have a good chance in 2006.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:19 am

ok...

so several people have been telling me that my grip is too wide, which makes it harder to invert and roll back propperly.

the problem is, my wide grip is the only reason i can get on big poles, if i bring my grip in, i cant bend the pole.

suggestions?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 am

I can bend the pole with a closed grip (my hands together). Pole bending is not about having a big bottom arm, and pole vaulting is not about how much you can bend the pole.

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:25 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I can bend the pole with a closed grip (my hands together). Pole bending is not about having a big bottom arm, and pole vaulting is not about how much you can bend the pole.

I understand that...but if you are on a 15' pole, you cant really stiff pole it holding at about 14'6".

I can have a smaller grip on smaller poles (14' 190) and invert nicely with a big pop off the top, but I can't seem to get that on any pole longer than 14'

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

16 ft

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:06 pm

theczar, I wouldnt begin to fix anything until you have fixed the pole carry. That will do more to help the drop and plant than anything. The way you are carrying your pole puts your arm and wrist in the weakest possible position for the plant...just a thought!

theczar
PV Follower

Re: 16 ft

Unread postby theczar » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:59 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:theczar, I wouldnt begin to fix anything until you have fixed the pole carry. That will do more to help the drop and plant than anything. The way you are carrying your pole puts your arm and wrist in the weakest possible position for the plant...just a thought!

can you elaborate on that, i'm not quite sure what you mean by that?

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Pole Carry

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:28 pm

If you can find a video of Tim Mack's jumps in the trials you will see a near perfect example of what I am referring to. Let's look at the left hand first. The left elbow should be below your hand. I like for athletes to actually start with their left elbows at their side. You shouldn't grab the pole wrapping your fingers around the pole. Rather you should craddle the pole between the thumb and forefinger with both pointing up the pole. When a pole drop is executed properly the pole should simple pivot over the crotch of the hand. When practicing pole drops the left hand should be pushed straight out and the hand should not be allowed to come up above the fore head. When you pick the pole up to start your approach the leftr hand should be about 3-4 inches away from the chest. The right hand should not grab the pole either. The pole should be held loosely with both hands. The right hand should not be allowed to move behind the hips at all during the approach. When you plant the pole the right hand comes straight up the body slightly in front of you. If you were practicing pole drops standing still, you should be able to knock a ball cap off your head with the thumb of your right hand. And it is a DROP. As you move your left hand out with your shoulders square the pole will simply pivot over the crotch of your hand and the right hand will FOLLOW the top of the pole to a point slightly above your forehead with both arms slightly bent. You should not push the pole up in an attempt to drop the pole quickly. Any sudden movement with your right hand will result in and overstride in your last step, and you will be under even if your mid is on.
After a successful drop at the end of the runup the right arm is extended as the take-off foot drives up in a jumping take-off.
Hope that is clear.......

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:55 pm

ok...

i think i understand that, i'll give it a try

thanks

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:55 pm

princess wrote:Also something that might help would be when you take off, you let your drive leg drop, you should really keep that driving forward, that will help with you penetrating in the pit, one other thing is you let your feet come out at the bar instead of keeping them back and to the top of the pole, anyway good luck with every thing your jump looks good, you got the pike thing going for you. You got that man, good luck with it.
i agree with what she says, just hold the drive longer and work on the take off and holding the knee drive. Thats exactly what i have problems with. Once your run and take off are better, you can get on some stiffer/ longer poles that could deffinitly throw you over 16.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Thu May 04, 2006 11:11 pm

I've been in a dry spell for about two months now...those videos are from the beginning of the season.

How do I get my momentum going again?

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Sat May 06, 2006 2:33 pm

UPDATE

I made 15'6" today at a meet, I will try to get the videos up soon.

TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Sat May 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Of course you can get 16' this season.

That line is 6 inches, its nothing.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”