video critique

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

video critique

Unread postby skyshark177 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:37 pm

just trying to get some views on what this vaulter is doing wrong if anything.

Ryan's Vault

Here's is another one of his vaults:
14'185, 14' bungee, standards all the way back

Ryan's Vault 2
Last edited by skyshark177 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skyshark177
PV Pro

Unread postby skyshark177 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:47 pm

he's on a 14' 185 catapole, i think or 180 for sure.
gripping at the top.

Standards all the way back.

hight is 14 feet.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:29 pm

First the vaulter is doing a lot of things right! He has a smooth, high knee approach run. I like his plant (I wish mine were that good), drive knee trail leg position, inversion and bringing hips in to the pole while dropping the shoulders. That being said, he needs to get into the inverted position a little sooner. That might be helped with a stronger whip-swing of the trail leg. He gets vertical simultaneously with the pole completing its recoil. It would be much better if he could already be vertical in the frame where you can clearly see sky between the tip of the tree and the instep of his foot. That is about 8 frames, or about .25 seconds earlier.

One significant observation is he does not pike over the crossbar. Instead he is almost arched in the other direction. So some training on getting off the pole would be useful. The more vertical he gets sooner, I think the more important the piking will become.

I will be interested to see what other coaches post.

- master

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:15 pm

My only two cents is that it looks like:
A) He needs to get there a little faster
B) Turn and Ride the pole longer
C) Pull through the pole more agressively

Just my opinion
Coach Bob Phillips

AKell
PV Nerd

Unread postby AKell » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:45 pm

looks good until he's inverted, then it's merely better than me :P He could get above the pole better b/f pushing off, and then as Master said, he needs to pike better over the bar.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:17 pm

I've been told by many I have a lazy top. Keep the ideas coming guys, I need all the help I can get!

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48 pm

I agree with the master. You are doing a lot of good things. I can't go frame by frame, so I am playing the start and stop game. From what I can see, you are little under (5-8") because you are still on the ground and the pole is bending. It is also tough to get your chest up through your shoulders when you are under. You have a great leg whip. Just keep your left leg long. You are starting to tuck in. When you do this, you then have to "untuck" which inhibits your ability to cover the pole before it recoils. Once you cover the pole, drop your shoulders, so you can line up with the pole a little sooner. Can't tell what frame it is, but look at the one where your body is lined up with the pole, but your head is still looking up. You can look up because your shoulders are rounded forward and that stops any shoulder strength from developing. When you drop your shoulders, think about bringing your shoulder blades back (something like standing at attention, only upside down). You then engage the traps and the rhomboids and that makes you much stronger. Once your shoulders are engaged, you will be able to exert tremendous pull, which will put you another foot or two higher. Right now, you are jumping a little over your hands, which means you have solid technique. Strive for a 2 ft push off. Nice jump. You have potential to go a lot higher.

LPVG
BV Coach

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:22 pm

One thing I noticed is that when u turn, your right foot gets caught under your left foot, dont know if it affects your turn or not.

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 pm

Standards are all the way back, ok. Then the pole is too soft. You have a great take-off and whip. But you're not quite covering the pole. You only get as far as the L postion on the inversion when the pole begins to uncoil towards the bar. You don't have enough time to cover the pole because the pole is too small and you're blowing through it.

I would either go up to the next size pole and raise your grip no more than three fingers (adjust step accordingly). Or if you don't have the next size pole, lower your top hand about one hand grip (adjust step accordingly) to make the pole stiffer and give you more time.

Anyway, you could always work on a higher take-off and faster whip.
Tips for a higher take-off, work on an early high plant and have a bounding jump take-off. For a faster whip, make the force of your whip all the way thru your toe--think of it as kicking a soccer ball or football as far as possible but from the inverted C position. You want a nice long trail leg. Also, put more pressure into your bottom hand on the inversion.

skyshark177
PV Pro

Unread postby skyshark177 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:36 pm

I posted another one of his vaults on the first message.

Thanks everyone for the critiques so far!

craigmtb
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, USATF Level 1
Favorite Vaulter: Toby"Crash"Stevenson

Unread postby craigmtb » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:11 am

OUvaulterUSAF wrote:I would either go up to the next size pole and raise your grip no more than three fingers (adjust step accordingly). Or if you don't have the next size pole, lower your top hand about one hand grip (adjust step accordingly) to make the pole stiffer and give you more time.

The problem with lowering your grip will be moving through the pole faster. If the stardards are already crushed, then a bigger pole is the only option.

Couldn't get the video, connection timed out.
Craig Hanson
PV Coach Yelm High School

Keep vaulters safe!
(I want to keep my job)

teamhansonpv
PV Newbie

Unread postby teamhansonpv » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:08 pm

You tend to allow your hands to hover above the bar when you should be throwing them back hard on your fly away. This will get you away from the bar and eliminate missed heights due to the awful hand drag. It may also eliminate your laziness and help you kip over the bar. Great plant and good take off. Keep working hard!
Getting this high anywhere else is illegal! ;)Team Hanson;)

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”