video critique

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:25 pm

Ryan,

It is not the fact that your top is lazy. In fact it is that your trying to hard on the top.

As you reach inversion and begin the turn and supposed pull watch the pole.

It goes from smoothly rotating into the pit to a dead stop and then moving back down the runway.

Next watch your arms. They go from being tight to your body to a bicep curl motion to as far away from your body as possible.

Now try to imagine this. As you reach inversion instead of pulling with your top arm. You pull out with your bottom elbow behind you and allow the shoulders to rotate putting your on the runway side of the pole.

Then you allow the top arm to break and the energy left int he pole launches you into the air so you can actually sail over the crossbar belly down instead of the reverse folding you see in the clips.

The bottom line answer is your pulling with the top arm to soon. You need to initiate rotation first. You can't because your top arm breaks and you go over basically back first.

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Your take off is under! You should start there.

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:32 pm

Thanks everybody!

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:57 am

A quick question, when was that Cata-Pole made? Is it yellow glass, grey glass, or white with tape on top? This could be crucial.

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:33 am

Tim McMichael wrote:A quick question, when was that Cata-Pole made? Is it yellow glass, grey glass, or white with tape on top? This could be crucial.

It's a Yellow Glass Cata-Pole, when ever those were made.

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Tue May 02, 2006 12:32 am

It used to be a 15' as well, just trimmed down the top for some reason.

Onrutton
PV Newbie

Unread postby Onrutton » Tue May 02, 2006 10:53 am

Jump looks decent. You need to stay closer to the pole as you get to the top of your jump. You drift away from the pole and fall out of the sky without any off the top. You get inverted, but then you need to pull and corkscrew (I dont like the word turn becuase it makes you think flip over instead of going inverted while turning). During that part stay close to the pole. Then push off the top and "pike" over the crossbar. Pike means try to touch your toes and, you know, wtvr, its an upside down V over the bar. Do those things. Looks smooth though. Add more steps if you can, and try to go faster. Speed always helps, and it doesn't look like your going that fast.

Not bad, ;)

Onrutton

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed May 03, 2006 7:32 am

It used to be a 15' as well, just trimmed down the top for some reason.

i have that yellow piece that you trimmed off its my runway marker and freshman beater;)
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Thu May 04, 2006 12:04 am

I remember that. You guys came to the camp randomly, and it happened to be the same day we dug out that catapole and chopped the top off. I think I was doing pole runs with a sixteen foot pole and moved back to nine lefts while only wearing my spandex shorts. Man I was hot, errr it was hot outside. Fun times, wish I could run nine again.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:35 am

haha it was hot.....outside. and i am in the same boat as you if i could run 9 right now i would be set. :crying: oh well i am sure i will see you around soon. states should be fun this year as long as i am not sick at regionals
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”