Just a college freshman looking for some Looking for some feedback on the first practice of the year

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Colbyc63
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13’6”
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Just a college freshman looking for some Looking for some feedback on the first practice of the year

Unread postby Colbyc63 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:26 am

Some quick info about me: I a freshman at the university of Texas at Tyler. I’ve been vaulting since 8th grade but missed two yesrs due to injuries. I was severely slow in HS because we had poor coaching when it came to running mechanics and never really focused on speed. I was a 5 sport athlete (football, baseball, powerlifting, track, and cross country until I got too big freshman year when I transitioned to offensive/ defensive line in football). Pole vault was never really my focus. Since the summer and fall training I’ve gotten a lot faster (still pretty slow) and have slimmed down to about 182 at 5’10”. The video attached is from last Friday and it’s my first time vaulting since last spring. I’d just like some feedback because the more eyes the better!

Pole is a 13’9” 205 and the bungee is at 14, side note: I got a pole pr on 14’6” 185 gripping at the top from a 4 left, but i was so far under from adrenaline that it’s too ugly to post. :confused:

https://youtu.be/LayGoKUC4VU
Train insane or stay the same

Colbyc63
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13’6”
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Re: Just a college freshman looking for some Looking for some feedback on the first practice of the year

Unread postby Colbyc63 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:41 am

Actually I’ll post it anyways because it can’t hurt

Pole 14’6” 185 bungee at 14’

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6sexgsiHC ... e=youtu.be
Train insane or stay the same

bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Re: Just a college freshman looking for some Looking for some feedback on the first practice of the year

Unread postby bel142 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Hey a few things I see is the obvious immediately when you leave the ground you switch your back and then stop moving, We want to be active with the hands to allow for a nice deep action into the pit, keep the pole rolling and keep exploiting the energy, rather than coming up shallow.

1: get rid of the skip into your run we want to establish consistency with the run. Although it feels like you’re getting more momentum at the back of the runway we wanna be able to set up the final step, having that skip in your first step just set up a little bit more inconsistency a takeoff...

2: we want to initiate the pole dropped nearly 40 feet out from takeoff (3L ballpark) so if you’re on a four left, You have one left to start to run and then initiate pole drop for the 3&2&1... we initiate at three left to get everything on time to create space.It also sets up from mechanical advantage when you’re on bigger polls. At two lefts out we want to see the pole tip right near head level. Top hand by pec and bottom hand elbow down prepping for press at take off...

3: The plant path with your right - we want to be able to have the plat come up the side of body and in front of the head so if you were wearing sunglasses your thumb would pass right by your eye and sunglasses and if you were a hat tip the brim of the hat at take off your biceps should be up against your temple slightly in front of the ear rather than behind the head...

Just a few thoughts hope that helps good luck

BEL

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”