Run/Plant critique.

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
spencershade
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Run/Plant critique.

Unread postby spencershade » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:00 pm

Video:https://youtu.be/ZqNnmEyG_ds
Video specs-1st jump 14'6" 165 pole.. 14'grip
2nd,3rd, and 4th jump- 15' 160 pole.. 14' grip

I have been having trouble with my pole progressions and I'm sure it's due to my run/plant/takeoff. I have a pole a constantly blow through on 80cm standards but when I move to another pole I have a hard time transitioning. I am not positive on all of the technical aspects of the run and would like to work on it as much as I can to get on longer poles with the same stiffness. I am pretty satisfied with how my technique in the air has improved and I've got it to be consistend but i am want to put more Focus into my run/plant/Takeoff. Before I ask my questions I would like to explain my understanding of the run/plant/TO for a 7 left run:
First i start off by driving into the run for the first two lefts and transition to top speed mechaninics with high knees and accelerating as fast as I can immediately after from (3-6 lefts). I try to run tall with good posture. Plant: i try to plant as soon as I reach my 6th left step (3 steps out) and as quick as possible so that the feet are quicker and can create a vertical lift similar to a long jumper. Ideally if my plant is timed right and fast I can put my feet down in time to not stride and lose as much speed and takeoff on my mark.

Here is the biggest problems I have: I lose a lot of energy on the last two steps
I often stride on my last two steps
If i move my run back to have a "better" takeoff mark I just stride more and lose more entergy

Here are my questions: is my penultimate step too low?
Is my takeoff step too low?
Are parts of my interpretation of the run/plant/TO wrong or am I missing important aspects?
Throughout the run, how is my posture?
How can I fix rolling off my left foot at takeoff?
How important is it for the hips to be forward at takeoff?
What are the major problems with run/plant/takeoff?

Any comments are appreciated and please let me know what types of training or drills I can work on to help me understand and develope a better run with a consistent takeoff.

Specs about myself- 19yrs, 6'1", 160lbs, 3rd year of vaulting

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Re: Run/Plant critique.

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Fix your pole drop. When you drop it early like that you have to lean back to counter-balance the weight of the pole, and it puts you on your heels (decelerating). You can even hear the difference in the sound your feet make over the last 4 steps.
Good luck! :yes:

spencershade
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Run/Plant critique.

Unread postby spencershade » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:11 pm

[quote="Cooleo111"]Fix your pole drop."
I took your advice cooleo and I went to the track and did pole drop and slide box drills and It already feels much better! I still have some questions about the run though. I want to back up to a 7 left run but my timing feels off and I slow down at my last few steps. What can I do to reach max and have a controlled takeoff with good posture?
Another question I have is what step count do you begin your pole drop? It have been doing it 3 lefts out from my takeoff and it feels a lot better but i still feel like I'm holding weight of the pole right before takeoff.

Check out this video from today and let me know what improvements you see and what i can do better.
https://youtu.be/WexrwJvl0cQ

Thanks, Spencer.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”