Trying to get past 9'6"

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
SkylerH
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Trying to get past 9'6"

Unread postby SkylerH » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g31Hq1djUMQ&feature=youtu.be

There are two more videos on my channel, PDC just means Prarie Du Chien(Where I was vaulting at)

Hey, I'm a 5'6.5" Junior in High School. I was clearing 10' relatively easy in practice the day prior to this but then I could only get past 9' in the meet. In these videos, I'm gripping at about 9'6" to 10' on an 11' 150 lb pacer one. I weigh around 133, any advice to help me get past this height? I think I was just very nervous from the meet. All advice is appreciated, thank you!

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Trying to get past 9'6"

Unread postby GasPasser » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:34 am

It's hard to tell from this angle, but it appears that you are taking off under causing you to be yanked off the ground without giving you an opportunity to jump up at takeoff. Have a teammate catch your takeoff step for you. With the pole in the box, your top hand should be over the toe of your takeoff foot.

You do a decent job of swinging, but you are too eager to try to clear the bar. You need to complete the swing by swinging your feet to the pole, then straighten your body out while upside down, then turning to get your belly towards the bar. Don't rush to get over the bar, finish the vault before coming off the pole.

The best angle to be videoed is 90 degrees abeam the takeoff point. (from the side)

Good luck, it looks like you are off to a good start.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”