Help me fix a bad habit

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
slow
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Help me fix a bad habit

Unread postby slow » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:03 pm

I am currently a senior in college and have never had this problem before. Every time I had vault practice this year my pole would begin to rotate to the left after takeoff (I'm right handed) and keep rotating as I start to swing. It would get to the point where the bent side of the pole is rotated and facing the runway instead of the mats. This absolutely kills my forward and upward momentum and is really dangerous since I'm landing very shallow. I've never seen anybody else with this problem and it's been frustrating me so much that I made an account on pvp to seek help. My coach doesn't know what I'm doing to cause this and neither do my team mates.

Also, the videos unfortunately don't include my run so I'm sorry about that. Any critiques/help would be much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/rFO0cZI7jPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JiK_cDpIPA

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Help me fix a bad habit

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:28 pm

I agree that it looks like it's over-twisting on you.

It's hard to say why, especially with such poor vid quality.

My first thought is maybe you're not gripping the pole in line with the natural bend of the pole?

You should line up the natural bend towards the box, so that it initially bends EXACTLY FORWARDS. Never to the side. Not even in the slightest. The natural swinging action of your body is what will cause the pole to twist to the side. Don't worry, when you swing straight forward and you THINK that you might swing right into the pole, you won't. This natural action (luckily) twists the pole out of the way.

I refer to the pole's action to the side as twisting (rather than rotating), so as not to confuse it with the common PV phrase "rotating the pole to vertical", which means something entirely different.

Rotating the pole refers to the pivotal action from the butt of the pole, around which the pole "rotates".

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

slow
PV Newbie

Unread postby slow » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:30 am

Thanks for the advice!

I agree that sometimes I don't line the natural bend of the pole exactly straight forward, but I'm not able to even swing when that happens. In these videos I'm pretty sure I line the pole up straight because it was bending straight forward on take-off. It's just when I start to swing I feel the pole twist off to the left a bit more than it should, and for some reason keeps twisting. So strange.

Again, I've never had this issue before and I've been vaulting for 8 years now. Perhaps I'm not applying enough pressure with my arms when I swing? I'm really not sure. Next time we vault, I'll have my coach record from a different angle to see if I'm planting the pole slightly crooked.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:47 am

slow wrote: I agree that sometimes I don't line the natural bend of the pole exactly straight forward, but I'm not able to even swing when that happens.

Well, that's it then. Case closed.

slow wrote: In these videos I'm pretty sure I line the pole up straight because it was bending straight forward on take-off.

Nope. I think we've nailed it. Even if your grip and the natural bend of the pole are misaligned, your weight and momentum on takeoff will first of all bend the pole DIRECTLY FORWARD. However, after a split second, you might feel it wanting to bend to the side.

slow wrote: ... when I start to swing I feel the pole twist off to the left a bit more than it should, and for some reason keeps twisting.

Check again. You should put a thin strip of tape near the butt to show the high side of the bend. Then each time you start a new runup, you should rest the pole on your shoulder, gripping it with just your top hand.

The tape should be directly ABOVE the pole (not off to the side). Freeze that grip, and don't let go of it until you release it to clear the bar.

slow wrote: Perhaps I'm not applying enough pressure with my arms when I swing? I'll have my coach record from a different angle to see if I'm planting the pole slightly crooked.

No, I've never EVER heard of pressure from a vaulter's arms causing the pole to twist.

Based on your feedback, I'm more convinced now than after my first reply that you're simply not gripping the pole with your top hand correctly. One indication of that should be that you should feel a weird twist when the pole begins to bend. Do you?

Yes, check with your coach, and have him vid you from directly behind or directly in front of you - maybe both.

Another thought is that your plant is so damn late that your plant is so damn late that you're getting pulled to the side immediately after takeoff. However, since you're landing in the middle of the pit, I don't think that's it either.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

slow
PV Newbie

Unread postby slow » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:02 am

you should feel a weird twist when the pole begins to bend. Do you?

Hmm.. I don't recall such a feeling. Looks like you've solved my problem then. I'm definitely going to try the tape thing to get my grip aligned consistently. What you said here makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 am

Slow,
I can't view your youtube anymore, it appears that you have changed your privacy setting. I was attempting to download it to coaches eye and mark it up for you.

There is a possibility that your grip in relationship to your swing may be causing your pole to bend back towards the runway. But I detect another problem shortly after you bring your feet to the top of the pole. You then swing your shoulders and com in front or on the bar side of the pole. There appears to be a slight delay, then you push your hips up. The delay that you have at this stage (cover the pole) appears to me to be the culprit.

I teach and coach an advanced technical model. There are key positions that must be met. Each key position allows the subsequent stage of a continuous chain of energy. Specific drills assist the athlete to hit the key positions and allow for stylistic variations. This system allows the coach/athlete to easily identify problems as they arise. If you desire more information, I'd be glad to offer.

slow
PV Newbie

Unread postby slow » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:10 am

Sorry for the delay,

What Kirk told me about my grip alignment actually worked. I haven't had the pole bend back towards the runway since that day and I've been landing safely into the pit. I'll definitely take you up on your offer for advice though! I'll post more videos when I start practicing again after winter break

slow
PV Newbie

Unread postby slow » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:05 am

Hi everyone,

It's a new year and I've got a new video of a decent jump in practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCw6uWBckzM

First of all I apologize for the poor video quality. A big difference I see between me and people who are actually good at pole vault is the re-extending of the bottom arm after the drive and during the swing to inversion. However when I vault, my bottom arm bends as I take off but never really re-extends leaving me in an awkward position right after my trail leg passes my body. Is this because my plant is late? Or maybe because I'm taking off under? Both?

Anyway, I think this is why I'm not able to jump much higher than a few inches above my grip. I'm still able to swing to inversion despite this, but I don't fly off the top the way good vaulters do. Advice will be much appreciated.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”