New Pole Technique

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Alshinz
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'9"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

New Pole Technique

Unread postby Alshinz » Wed May 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Hello! i am a junior in HS trying to sync up with a new pole that I seem to have a little bit of mental fear of. Here are two jumps on a new 15' 185lb 15.4 Carbon FX., along with a slo-mo video of the top of my jump. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I am a hair under 6'5', so if there are any tips you guys have for taller vaulters that would also help!)https://youtu.be/M2JUnPnlGtg

burnhamj
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergey Bubka

Re: New Pole Technique

Unread postby burnhamj » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:45 pm

You are taking off very far under!! The pole starts to bend almost BEFORE your last foot hits the ground!!
When you get ripped off the ground like that, it does not allow you room to jump. Even though you are 6' 5", you can always be taller.

As you get more comfortable on the pole, move your step back and jump VERTICALLY! This will help you rotate that pole faster and get more into in. And soon you will be blowing through it! The bigger jump will also allow you room to use your big tall takeoff position and whip that leg through fast in order to get your hips above your head. You may find as I did, that when your takeoff is "on" (not under with big vertical jump), that you swing comes through very fast and very easily which makes the top part of the vault very easy!

Keep up the good work and good luck on your senior season!!
Run Tall, Hit Tall

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”