Help me get on a bigger pole

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Joshps
PV Beginner
Expertise: Student vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam kendricks

Help me get on a bigger pole

Unread postby Joshps » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm a 12ft vaulter who has been using small pacer mystic poles for way too long and now i'm bending my 13' 140 way too much. Im 5'10 weigh 140 and im now trying to get on a 14' 135 pacer fx but im having to readjust my vault a lot and i keep getting stuck instead of getting upside down. I really need help figuring out what i need to do to start getting my vault fixed. Any tips are welcome thank you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cecv_E0EJqA

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Help me get on a bigger pole

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:37 pm

1. Read this sticky post, adhere to it, and fill in the blanks. Especially #3. http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11345

2. We need to see your full run. Your plant and takeoff problems stem from your run. If we can't see it, we can't advise you.

3. You're actually not bending the pole too much. It may just feel like it's bending too much. You will need to use a stiffer pole than a 135 in HS competition, but that's not your biggest issue (you'll be on a 145 in no time, once you improve your technique a bit).

4. Your takeoff step is under, and your plant is probably incomplete. That's why you're leaning back so early in your vault. You need to lean FORWARDS. And to do this, you need to jump up and reach up as high as you can on takeoff, and then jump UPWARDS and FORWARDS so that you have good body posture (before you swing).

Joshps wrote: ... i keep getting stuck instead of getting upside down.

5. "getting stuck" and "getting upside down" aren't your biggest issues either. Your plant and takeoff (and probably your run) should be your biggest concerns. If you fix those and add a good swing then you won't get stuck in the dreaded "V". Right now, you don't have any time to swing, because it looks like you're getting jerked off the ground on takeoff.

Please provide a better vid. It should also be going over a bungee or bar. What you show doesn't give us much to go on. Anyone can do a swing-up. Show us a vault of you attempting 12 feet! :idea:

You can go much higher than 12 feet with a few basic improvements. Good luck! :star:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:24 pm

thanks for the feedback i've been working on my takeoff as my main focus for a while, its usually closer to on but this one is more under. The pole i was bending too much was my 13' 140 where i was holding about 12'4" on. I'll get another video as soon as i can but the forecast has rain all week and i'll be at the beach the next week. As for the angle, sorry about that i had to grab someone to take a quick video and didn't realize until i saw it that he wasnt following me down the runway. Im just really frustrated with how im jumping on this pole but this is only my second time using it at practice. I'll work on my plant and jumping up more on my jump, along with more video as soon as i can, thanks.

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:27 pm

update, i was really crushing the 135 14' pacer fx this weekend at a meet, so this is a new video of me on a 14' 140 on approximately a 13'2ish grip. The bungie is at 12ft and i am running from 6L at 73' 10" on the runway. I've been doing a lot of plant drills working on my takeoff and i think im less under here. check out the link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92tUEdfTcqM

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby GasPasser » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:22 pm

Your plant is incomplete because your hands are late. I see your plant foot on the ground, your body is behind your TO foot, and your top hand above your head - but your top elbow is also bent. To correct this your plant needs to be both up and forward. Like Kirk said, you need more forward lean (of your body) during your plant. That TO step needs to be under the hips when the foot hits, not in front of your hips. Therefore, your hands need to be in front of your head before the TO step lands, and your arms fully extended.

Also, you are not getting all you can from your trail leg. You are actually pulling it in during your swing. This is hurting you later in the vault and why you are getting stuck in a pike. You need to keep that trail leg long. Again, like Kirk said - JUMP UP & FORWARD. Think of it as trying to jump over the pit. When you swing the trail leg, think of trying to kick the box. You can practice the whip-swing of the tail leg on a high bar.

Get the next pole ready, once your technique improves, you will need it.

nateolson63
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High Schooler jumping 14's
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby nateolson63 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:13 am

Honestly, its a lot about how you run. It's hard to tell from this video but I would assume that you run in track spikes and that you don't get your knees very high. When I jump I make sure to exaggerate my high knees almost to the point of where I think its too much. What this actually does is it helps you gain not only speed but also helps with an upright plant. The higher you can get your plant, the more momentum you can use to help bend the pole and ultimately get over higher bars. REALLY work on running with high knees and not flat footed. Hope this helps bro!!!

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks y'all, i'll work on a higher plant and a higher knee run also. There's a lot i need to work on i see and i appreciate all the posts, i'll do what it takes to improve :)

dmaterial
PV Newbie
Expertise: coach elite vaulter and father
Lifetime Best: 17'3"
Favorite Vaulter: bubka. forever!

Unread postby dmaterial » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:29 am

K. To start off with. U need to have urself on a bigger pole with video for me to watch and then break it down for u. From the little i c. U have great potential. E mail me personally at dmaterial@aol.com for further instructions. Good luck D.

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:44 pm

hey guys, i feel like i'm making a little progress and just wanted to post another video to show my jump on a pacer fx 155 14'. I am currently 144lbs at 5'10 and this jump is from a 7L Approach with a 12ft bungie. It's far from perfect but i feel like im not getting stuck in the V as much anymore. I'm still trying to improve my under takeoff but it is difficult breaking bad habits. Also been doing some work with trying to keep the left leg straight. On my better jump, i've gotten more inversion and pop off the top end of my vault recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OF4_RDPI8k

Skyfly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School and Club Coach

Unread postby Skyfly » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:44 pm

I think you'll find that things will improve a lot if you can get your eyes to not be locked on the bar the entire jump. Your swing has no chance of continuing to the inverted position because in order to do so, your shoulders must go down. Staring at the bar is causing your shoulders to never go down and actively arresting your swing at a critical moment. Yes, there are many other things to improve, but this is just one suggestion. I've told a couple of my athletes to focus on swinging and driving their hips to the top of the pole and focus there visually if they must focus on something. This has helped some of them.

Cat lady
PV Beginner
Expertise: Pole Vaulter's wife
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Cat lady » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:29 pm

Someone has to say it. The base protectors go around the bottom of the standard. If you face plant into that barbell plate it might be the last jump you take.

Joshps
PV Beginner

Unread postby Joshps » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:44 pm

Thank you for the concern cat lady, but here in alabama i don't have the best pole vault setup, and if that barbell plate was not there, and the base protectors were, then the standards would collapse on top of me if i were to land on the bungie wrong. (which has almost happened) so the plate is safe. Plus i think that would be a legitimate worse case scenario.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”