Moving Steps Back.

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

Moving Steps Back.

Unread postby asaleh » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 pm

So far this season i have mostly been competing at a 4 step run mainly to fix some striding out issues. After my step was one consistently i moved my run back to lefts. It was just one session, but it felt like some good progress. At the start, i was about 1ft in because i was wasn't used to the run so i started to stride out. But after a couple of tries and moving my step back i finally got my rn under control and started to really move the pole. I ended up on my competition pole from 6 lefts because all my other poles got so soft. Heres the video but i think this video when i was in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsB1E4J ... e=youtu.be The main thing now i think is getting my swing to come all the way back instead of flagging out. Its been so long about trying to fix my striding out issue that my swing became a lot worse.
Pole 13.7 165 Spirit
Run 5 Lefts 65.7 ft
Takeoff- I think 9.5ft
Bungee at 13.3 ft
Standards at 31.5in
Your only as good as your last jump.

Joshps
PV Beginner
Expertise: Student vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'
Favorite Vaulter: Sam kendricks

Re: Moving Steps Back.

Unread postby Joshps » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:58 am

You arent getting inverted and your legs arent staying close together. Your turn motion wasnt fluid because it happened so fast without inversion

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:08 am

Joshps wrote:You aren't getting inverted and your legs aren't staying close together. Your turn motion wasn't fluid because it happened so fast without inversion

Just what you DON'T need ... advice from a 11-foot vaulter (214 PR) to a 13-foot vaulter! :dazed:

Remember that all technical flaws are rooted in flaws made in PRIOR actions of your vault. So if you're not swinging properly, it will almost always be because of something you did wrong earlier in the vault.

In this case, I could be wrong, but you seem to be pressing with your bottom arm - perhaps thinking that you need to apply this pressure to bend the pole. Is this your intent? Or do you feel that you're NOT pressing? :confused:

DON'T WORRY, the pole will bend just by the pressure from your TOP hand. The problem with bottom arm pressure is that it's blocking your swing! Let your chest stretch close to the pole - don't resist this with your bottom arm!

I leave the "Moving Steps Back" part of your concern (the title of your thread) to others - that's not my area of expertise. But you seem to recognize that your problems have shifted from the run to the swing, so maybe you just didn't title this thread accurately?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

Unread postby asaleh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks KirkB. I appreciate the advice. So wen u mean less bottom arm perssure, how am I supposed to bend the pole. Ive heard this before but I never really understood how that is suppose to work.
Your only as good as your last jump.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 am

You have probably struggled with your step because you drop your hands right before inititating your plant. This is also affecting your ability to get the arms all the way up and take off powerfully. Tighten up your plant, and your swing will improve.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:58 pm

asaleh wrote: So wen u mean less bottom arm perssure, how am I supposed to bend the pole?

I don't mean LESS bottom arm pressure, I mean NO bottom arm pressure (altho others disagree with this).

I just searched for "bottom arm bend kirk" and found 279 hits. Browse thru some of these for a better understanding of this topic.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”