19 feet pro's/con's

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

19 feet pro's/con's

Unread postby dj » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA7Dapjsh9A

19 feet --- pro's and con's

16-1 grip.. 55/56 mid standards back..

don't concern yourself with the wind, which allowed him to run faste, ... just the physics of the jump

thanks

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: 19 feet pro's/con's

Unread postby dj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:46 am

Good morning,

I know this is a very good jump... And one that I have studied and have the data on

I posted to get real feed back from you, as coaches, to we could better understand the info we are posting..

So many times, most of the time, we are saying the same things with a slightly different verbiage, creating the delusion that we are not on the same page...

I view the vault in three parts... Run.. Plant and swing..

Run as fast as you can... Plant as high and as "early" as you can and swing to vertical and off the pole as fast as you can...

Coaches How about sharing your "look". What you see and how you interpret. ...

Dj

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:44 am

In my opinion, Tully starts with the pole tip too low and therefore must carry it statically down the runway for the first few steps. I believe he loses some capacity to accelerate out of the back. By the time he hits the mid, though, the pole tip has not crossed too low and he is able to let it fall into the plant, and his step is on as far as I can tell from the video quality. I would have expected it to be further off given his pole carry at the start of his run, but he corrects as he hits the mid.

I believe his plant is ever so slightly out of time with his feet, and he loses a little bit of space and elasticity at the plant. The left arm could extend more and provide a little more room for a bigger swing. He does not go fully elastic to allow the left hand to move directly over head, and I believe it's because the plant was cut a little short. He does have a really powerful realignment into a hollow body swing, which I believe is the reason he can keep a long body despite the fact he didn't go fully elastic.

I don't know how fast Tully was, but by the looks of it he was pretty fast and pretty strong. With a 56' mid I can assume that he was faster than average for elites, but not he fastest. Generaly speaking, it looks to me that he had better athleticism and a better swing than most elites, and could stand to have a couple minor technical issues and still jump 19'.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:45 pm

DJ, I don't like the verbiage plant as high and "early" as you can. I don't know why coaches use ther term "early". that's like telling someone to take off early/ out. To me, early means to soon.

Mike has an excellent jump, hard to pick much out. I agree with coach Eric about the pole carry, and the plant timing. He also gets a little out off line as he plants the pole.
Maybe he could get a little more extended but I think he's elastic. I don't think any vaulter should strive for a big elastic elastic "c" position. He's hitting and swinging. I asked mike about his swing once and he said he tried to swing as soon as the pole hit the box, probably why he has such a great swing and big push off.
Bubka towards the end of his career swung a little earlier and the bottom hand didn't move as far back above his head. It seems to coincide a little with Romans theory about swinging. By the time you feel the pole hitting the box your bottom hand will probably be above your forehead already.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:59 pm

A couple of observations- a 16'1" grip and a 5.80 clearance are about what DJ would predict from his data. But what is different from Tully's 5.80 and the numerous 6.00 jumps by others? When I look at the video the most obvious feature is the physique of Tully. He looks like a steel pole guy - Richards,Bragg,Morris. Could it be that he has tremendous strength but limited flexibility? Could the Soviet sytem of the 1980's have emphasized "flexible strength" over pure strength and thus produced Bubka's, Trandenkov, Tarasov, Markov, Potapovich.?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:25 am

No!

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:26 am

The difference he probably needed another 10cm of grip. Where as the Russian guys you listed were all gripping 5.05+

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”