State Meet

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
WiscoVaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.11m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jan Johnson

State Meet

Unread postby WiscoVaulter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

http://www.coachseye.com/3MWw

This me at my state meet. I'm a junior. The bar is at 15 9, holding at 14 7 on a 15 7 175 from a six left approach. This was the state record for all of two minutes until another vaulter tied it and then broke it at 16. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Here is the youtube link to the rest of my vaults from the meet.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=U5E-tAGP ... 3Dyoutu.be
Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records.

— William A Ward

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: State Meet

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:49 am

Congrats on these jumps. You're very far along for a junior.

All of the potential improvements I can see are on your approach run.

1. You were under throughout the whole meet. Look up DJ's mid mark chart and learn how to use it.

2. You're only running from 12 steps (6L). Now that your season is over, you have no excuse not to work out the longer and run from at least 16 steps by your senior year.

3. Your pole tip falls a little bit low prior to your plant. The pole tip should cross eye level as you initiate your plant. Start with the pole a little bit higher at the start of your run, and wait a little bit longer before you let the pole tip begin to drop. The pole tip should accelerate into your plant so that there is a seamless transition from the pole drop to the plant. This will improve your posture and takeoff.

Otherwise, your technique is very solid. You're not a very fast guy for a near 16' vaulter in high school, so I suggest you really focus on your speed and power development over the off-season and do lots and lots of pole runs, practicing a smooth pole drop and good posture. If you can reliably hit your mid from a 16 step run by the beginning of next season, you will almost certainly have some really big PRs.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”