Critic my vault please

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Vaulter239
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter and Hurdler
Lifetime Best: 11'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Critic my vault please

Unread postby Vaulter239 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi,

This was a jump I did a couple days ago. It was probably my best jump at practice. Tell me what you think.
Things I noticed was my inability to drive up, rather I extend my hips at like a 45 degree angle. My last strides also look to long which will cause me to take off a little under. Also it has been very hard for me to extend my bottom arm at takeoff, it always seems to break alot.

Any drills and tip would be very helpful! Appreciate it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbF9BEc- ... e=youtu.be

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Critic my vault please

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Vaulter239 wrote: ... it has been very hard for me to extend my bottom arm at takeoff, it always seems to break a lot.

Letting the bottom arm collapse is NOT a flaw - it's good!

The pole will bend better by improving your plant (get it up higher), jumping harder on takeoff, and having better body posture on takeoff (lean forwards a bit - never backwards). Also stretch to the C position and then pop back out of it - immediately.

This is what will bend the pole and cause you to invert quickly and smoothly. Do NOT extend your bottom arm - just let it collapse. The pole will bend just from the pressure of your top hand - trust me on this!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”