General feedback on a couple jumps

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Skyfly
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School and Club Coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

General feedback on a couple jumps

Unread postby Skyfly » Tue May 21, 2013 11:07 pm

I have two videos of one of my athletes from today. I'd like to get an opinion from those more experienced than me about what is going well and what things should be targeted for improvement. I'm particularly interested in things related to getting on the bigger pole. I realize that all aspects can always get better.

Jump 1
13' bar, standards 30, 14'7 150 spirit 24.7 flex grip at 13'10
Felt like he would definitely be hitting the bar on the way up next jump, so we moved to a bigger pole.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvQ7rWNRPBU

Jump 2
13'6 bar, standards 22, 14'7 155 spirit 23.2 flex grip at 13'10
Surprised by how little penetration he got considering how much he was getting on the previous pole. May have made it if the standards were at 18 but would like them to be deeper than that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWCmI2XalMA

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: General feedback on a couple jumps

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 pm

On his 13-0 bar with the 150 pole, he actually hit the bar on the way up, which I suppose is why he went to a bigger pole. However, his standards were still 2.5" in from all the way back, so that would have been the first thing I would have changed. That and simply focusing on technique improvement. He's not even clearing a bar equal to his grip, so he has quite a ways to go in technique improvement before worrying about getting onto a bigger pole.

I do appreciate that 2.5" isn't much, but still. Once he improves his technique, THEN he's going to blow thru the 150. He's not there yet. He should actually be able to jump a foot higher on the 150 - even if he has to reduce his steps by 2. That's the first thing I would do - strive to get a better pushoff by getting a better plant, takeoff, and swing.

On his 13-6 bar, he obviously stalled out and landed on it, even tho he had the standards at 22. The fact that he set the standards at 22 tells me that he already KNEW that the 155 was too big for him, and he was going to stall. In fact, just that mindset while standing at the end of the runway is enough to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In summary, don't move up a pole when you KNOW you're going to stall out on it. Only move up when your standards are at 32.5" and you're blowing thru. Even then, when you're not getting any pushoff at all (or very little - less than a foot), don't even think about going up a pole. Instead, reduce your steps and focus more on improving your technique.

After getting a one-foot pushoff with the 150 (even if he has to lower his grip a bit), it will be much easier to get on the 155 - with standards all the way back. I know this sounds crazy - he's hitting the bar with standards at 22, so how the heck is he going to clear it with them all the way back? The answer is: Not right aways. It will take a few practices and meets to improve his pushoff by a foot. But once he learns to do that, he may even blow thru the 155!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Skyfly
PV Nerd

Unread postby Skyfly » Tue May 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks Kirk. In terms of a better plant/takeoff/swing, what element sticks out to you as a big target of improvement? For example, what should be improved in the takeoff? Thanks.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 22, 2013 12:06 am

It's hard for me to tell, because I can't step thru each frame. I'll let someone else advise you on that.

I think there's general improvement needed on all aspects of the plant, takeoff, and swing. He's taking off under too, so his body posture on takeoff and immediately after takeoff is poor - he's leaning back. Also looks like he's just getting picked up by the pole on takeoff, rather than JUMPING on takeoff.

If he JUMPS forwards and upwards, with a free takeoff, his body posture should improve significantly. This should set him up for a much better stretch and whip/swing.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed May 22, 2013 1:55 am

Actually the first jump is not too bad - in fact doing a number of things well - could drive the shoulders towards the pad sooner. The second one is dead at take off because the athlete is under - so no long fast swing. Not a bad idea on prs etc to move them back half a shoe - natural tendency is to go a little harder and run under, Nearly cost Bubka his only Olympic gold and cost Chris Lovell, one of my athletes, a chance of 5.10 and the World Juniors in Santiago.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Skyfly
PV Nerd

Unread postby Skyfly » Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 am

Thank you for the advice! Really appreciate the feedback.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”