Trouble Swinging Up

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
always_ambitious
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Trouble Swinging Up

Unread postby always_ambitious » Wed May 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Hello,
I've been having issues with not fully swinging up. My swing was never great, but now i'm having some real problems. I know about doing ring drills and high bar drills (although my school has neither) and stiff pole drills. I would prefer if you could give me some specific drills, adjustments, or advice to help fix this issue.
Just so you know:
I am a junior
The pole is a 13'9 165
I am running from 7 lefts (86')
The bungee is at 11'
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4E4NjK ... sp=sharing
Thanks
PS-you may want to lower the volumeon the video, unless you want to listen to my teammate fooling around not realizing that the camera had audio

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Trouble Swinging Up

Unread postby CoachEric » Wed May 15, 2013 9:11 pm

You definitely need to keep working on rings and high bar, but the biggest reason your swing stops is because you are pulling down hard with with your arms as soon as you see the bar. This forces the pole to unbend and prevents you from even beginning to drop your shoulders.

Practice swinging over a bungee with a straight pole. Challenge yourself to raise your grip on the straight pole as high as you can while still landing deep in the pit. If you can improve your ability to rotate a straight pole into the pit while swinging, it will be because you kept your hands up without pulling while you swing. Try it with narrow grip widths to get comfortable with having the bottom arm higher with the shoulders open.

Also your step is under.

always_ambitious
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Re: Trouble Swinging Up

Unread postby always_ambitious » Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for reply. I'll definitely work on that

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”