Critic my vault

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Vaulter239
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter and Hurdler
Lifetime Best: 11'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Critic my vault

Unread postby Vaulter239 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:15 pm

So it's my second year vaulting. Last year i was just pulling myself over and ended up with pr of 9 feet. THis year i started getting some good bend and strength and started to invert. This is me clearing 11 feet. (my pr) This jump got me first place in freshman sophmore meet. I was gripping all the way to the top ( i believe it is a 12'6 pole). Im going to start moving to a bigger pole, unless you guys think i shouldnt. (we have a 13' 150 and 13'6 160) (I am using a 12'6 160) Mind you I weigh 148ish pounds. Can you give me tips so i can start vaulting over my hand grip. I dont really have a coach so please any help is appreciated. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9d7JIw ... e=youtu.be

Thank YOU!!!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Critic my vault

Unread postby altius » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Impossible to comment on a clip from that angle.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Vaulter239
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter and Hurdler
Lifetime Best: 11'6
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Unread postby Vaulter239 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 pm

is it possible to give me tips on how turn before going over the bar? i notice that's a problem on my vault (the turn). Or could you comment on my inversion? Will definatly get a side angle for you guys next time. Thanks altius

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:55 pm

At your level, you need to focus 100% of your effort on what you do on the ground. Your swing will improve as your run and plant improve.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 pm

You need to sort out the problem with a late - or no - turn sooner rather than later, so although coach eric is right to say you have to improve your take off and swing - I suggest you try the simply practice where you do 6 step jumps - swing up and as you go over a LOW bar - 4/5' - you swing into a turn to face back down the runway - having someone on the runway to focus on will help. Once you get the basic swing/turn movement move the bar up until you reach your usual clearance height - but make the progression gradual or you will revert to your old movement patterns.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”