Scott Elliott and the wonderful world of pole vault!

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
RawVeganAthletics
PV Beginner
Expertise: Post Collegiate
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: a mix of Bubka and Tarasov

Scott Elliott and the wonderful world of pole vault!

Unread postby RawVeganAthletics » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Hello everyone! Its been a long time since I have been on here, so long actually that I forgot all my login information. I have made a new youtube channel and blog also. The information for the old channel, old blog, and the new blog can be found in the description box below the videos on the new channel! :yes: Hope you enjoy and please subscribe to my new youtube channel and blog. Here is some video of my practice Thursday and of my meet Sunday.

2nd Meet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd-wqgcShLU

Thursday the 31st Practice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYd9rn69M2Q

Take Care,
Scott Elliott

RawVeganAthletics
PV Beginner

Re: Scott Elliott and the wonderful world of pole vault!

Unread postby RawVeganAthletics » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:42 am

Hello Vault Lovers! Here is today's practice. I honestly think this was one of my best practices I have ever had! Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puz_8woz1r4 :yes:

RawVeganAthletics
PV Beginner

Unread postby RawVeganAthletics » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Here is a video of 3 drills with coaching ques that I did. Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcZUgrvSOdI&feature=youtu.be

RawVeganAthletics
PV Beginner

Unread postby RawVeganAthletics » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:43 am

Possibly the best practice that I have ever had! :D :yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP4zYf_YPMY&feature=youtu.be

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:14 am

Glad you are happy but if you are looking for a critique rather than applause - put your jumps up with a decent camera angle so that we can actually see the take off point. But already I will say that sloppy rock back drills won't help you - nor will pulling the left left through flexed.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

RawVeganAthletics
PV Beginner

Unread postby RawVeganAthletics » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:37 am

I will try to find a different angle, but these offices were just built where I use to film from. I am not looking for applause. I am looking for critique, and would like to hear your views on my vault, so I will try and fix the camera angle. What should I be fixing on my rock back drills? and What do you mean by not pulling my left through flexed?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:57 am

Good. The only folk who do rock back drills well are top vaulters who do not need to do them! With most folk the drill encourages you to rush off the ground without finishing the take off and to shorten the body - these are BAD things. Re the left - I meant the LEFT LEG - it after the initial tiny flexion after take off it should kick whip straight all the way over the head -putting energy into the pole all the way. Remember that the pole should not be bent at the instant of take off - it bends as the result of the forces generated by that whip swing.

RawVeganAthletics
PV Beginner

Unread postby RawVeganAthletics » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:28 am

So are you suggesting I don't do the drill? Or to focus on not breaking the hips, and keeping my body long after I have completed the take off and kick whipped through the cord? I totally agree that I should be kick whipping all the way through and to the top of the pole. I am trying to break years of vaulting using the bad habit of blocking, its a horrible position to swing from. I am starting to not block as much, but there is still work to be done! I will work on the kick whip motion along with not blocking, and hope to get a better angle come Mondays practice so you can get a better feel of what I am doing, thanks.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:09 am

Sorry -I have just been informed by "she who must be obeyed" - and if you are married you know who I mean - "You are wasting far too much time on that stupid pole vault power - I can find you plenty of other things to do"!!!! Hopefully CoachEric can help you. He knows the event, has a good eye and communicates clearly. Cant do better. Will come back when I can!!! :(

RawVeganAthletics
PV Beginner

Unread postby RawVeganAthletics » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Haha Alright, well I thank you for the input, and hopefully when you are able to log on again I will be whip swinging all the way to the top of the pole! Take care!

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:07 am

Thanks for the endorsement Alan :)

Scott,

It looks to me that you are throwing the head back a bit mid-swing. 9 times out of 10, this causes the vaulter to tense in the shoulders and apply downward force that causes the swing to break. Watch how your hands come down slightly while you swing, instead of pressing up in a hollow-body position. You can easily see that tension on the vaults you bailed out of.

First, make sure that your head position is correct at takeoff, slightly above neutral. Often, vaulters will look down at the box, which leads to head throwing. Then, your cue should be to "watch the vault." You should see yourself swinging, and be able to look at your feet when fully inverted.

And if possible, try to include your approaches in your next video.

RawVeganAthletics
PV Beginner

Unread postby RawVeganAthletics » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:44 am

Eric, thanks for the input! I should have got on here before I went to practice. It was a rough practice, but hey, they happen. I am throwing my head back and I see how it could be causing me to tuck. I also see how my hands come down right when I tuck also, which causes me to get stuck in the bucket i feel. I was trying to work on looking up at take-off and whipping through faster today. I didn't realize until towards the end of practice that I look up with my eyes, not my head, so I have felt like I am looking up, but in fact I am not. What would be the Ideal drills in your opinion for me to learn this Motion of swinging properly? Rings? I also am working on my pole carry and not moving it back and forth. Its better, but not where I want it. Anyways, I cant wait to hear back! here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8IguQFdLc

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”