First meet of the season

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
WiscoVaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.11m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jan Johnson

First meet of the season

Unread postby WiscoVaulter » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi everyone, I just had my first meet this year and was wondering what you guys thought.
The heights and poles are in the video titles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GaUhbg12Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSfl3UDn ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCHvPWn ... e=youtu.be

Thanks for the help
Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records.

— William A Ward

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: First meet of the season

Unread postby coachjvinson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:24 am

Looks like some solid improvement over the past 4 months or so: nice work...

Looks like when you moved to your bigger pole, that you had a hesitation in the last stride. Easily refined through practice. I know this isn't a ton of feedback, mostly just encouragement. If I can take a closer look and provide more detailed feed back, I will. Busy, Busy...
PURSUITOF2016

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka

Unread postby coachjvinson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:51 am

coachjvinson wrote:Looks like some solid improvement over the past 4 months or so: nice work...

Looks like when you moved to your bigger pole, that you had a hesitation in the last stride. Easily refined through practice. I know this isn't a ton of feedback, mostly just encouragement. If I can take a closer look and provide more detailed feed back, I will. Busy, Busy...

Scratch that, no hesitation; different video different vaulter.
Still great improvements over the past months - Kudos!

Third attempt when you did change poles- bit of a flag out - not terribly so, but it looks like you faulted the bar with your quads on the way up.

Finish the swing, close out the hips to the pole- I know its my own terminology
basically, the concept is this, swing to pike, hip extension to the top hand

Then clear the bar - pull,turn, push

Should be automatic in that you want to have practiced this fluid movement wout a bar/bungee, then w a bungee, and finally the bar.

Make a progression out of it - starting with forceful and powerful popups with your body matching the pole - hips to top hand...
V
PURSUITOF2016

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:33 pm

coachjvinson wrote:Third attempt when you did change poles- bit of a flag out - not terribly so, but it looks like you faulted the bar with your quads on the way up.
Finish the swing, close out the hips to the pole- I know its my own terminology
basically, the concept is this, swing to pike, hip extension to the top hand
Then clear the bar - pull,turn, push
Should be automatic in that you want to have practiced this fluid movement wout a bar/bungee, then w a bungee, and finally the bar.
Make a progression out of it - starting with forceful and powerful popups with your body matching the pole - hips to top hand...
V

Took a closer look at the video and you are doing a great job on much of the aforementioned...
Again, Kudos...

The next workouts and progressions are going to need to focus on the refinement and the timing of the aforementioned...
I will post in more detail soon...
V
PURSUITOF2016

WiscoVaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.11m
Favorite Vaulter: Jan Johnson

Unread postby WiscoVaulter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated. I will be thinking of this when I practice next.
Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records.

— William A Ward

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:21 pm

WiscoVaulter wrote:Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated. I will be thinking of this when I practice next.

First, focus on the whip kick and swing. Yours is solid; however, I want you to be in a better position with respect to time and form. Work on the power and speed of the swing to get to your pike position as fast as possible; without compromising form. In the piked position try to swing to a point where the shins/knees are to the top hand as compared to just the feet. This will allow you to direct the hip extension vertically in a more precise manner: this will correct the slight flag out of which I commented previously.

When you fault the bar in your video and even in the video where you clear bars, your extension/turn is into the bar diagonally.

Now what I am about to tell you is predicated (especially initially) on you vaulting on poles/grips in which you KNOW that you can move well PAST vertical and land SAFELY in the pit. The rationale and the instruction is as follows.

The MOMENTUM from your run up and swing is going to carry you into the pit: NOT the direction of your hip extension, which is currently diagonally towards the bar.

The correction involves: Swing to Pike as mentioned previously to the shins if possible and Close Off to the Pole VERTICALLY with precise force (precision over force), Turn and Push Off: Your momentum carries you over the bar. The improved position in the pike will allow you to direct the vertical extension more precisely.

Make certain that you are working on poles and grips that you can move past vertical and land SAFELY in the pit.
Let me know if you have questions or if I can clarify.
V
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”