First Indoor Meet 4m

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

First Indoor Meet 4m

Unread postby andy94566 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 am

Pole used: 14'7" 150 gripping at 13'3"
Poles available: 14'7" 155, 160, 165, range of 15'
Approach: 6 lefts from 76'6"
Measurements: Bar at 4 meters with standards at 80cm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXviCowGUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trKl07YPTdo

Right now, I'm thinking about moving my step back to a 7, moving up to the 155 or 160 14'7". What do y'all think?

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: First Indoor Meet 4m

Unread postby altius » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 am

If you are aiming for decent performances next outdoor season move to 16 steps in training as soon as you have finished your last comp this year - do that even if you continue to jump off 12 for a while. But you must also tidy up your pole carry - left arm is dropping so that it is on top of the pole A NO NO. -not under it. Also a late plant so when you are plat on the right foot the pole is level with the shoulder not the top of the head - and a collapsing take off leg - should only flex marginally.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 pm

I would second the statement on refining the pole carry: nice work in making the transition to the larger pole series and getting past the gap in flex. I have a few thoughts on your practice videos and your meet videos, I have been very busy as of late and will post and comment as soon as I am able. Again, nice work on the transition; I think you are at a point where things are going to really start to come together.
V
PURSUITOF2016

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka

Unread postby coachjvinson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Looks like you are blowing through your grip and pole: the pole is compressed to a 90deg angle and you are landing in the back of the coaches box and beyond it in your second vault.
Thought cues for practice tomorrow- nice high plant, powerful and fast swing to COMPLETION!

This is going to make your top end pull, turn, push bar clearance movements and mechanics easier. The idea is to get your COM movement and momentum going vertically with power and speed. Your run and swing momentum will carry you into the pit.

Start with the same warmup routine as usual- keep your vault at 6L for now: let's find out your max grip and pole from your 6L run. Work your grip up an inch at a time based on where you are landing in the pit: your current pole is going to feel really soft so you'll be ready for the next one in the bag. Make your decisions to move up in grip and pole slowly and methodically based on where you are landing in the pit and whether or not you are blowing through the pole: when you feel like you are maxing your grip height for this run make adjustments by the 1/2 inch increment (don't be to BigHeaded to move your grip down 1/2 inch if needed to land deeper in the pit for safety): The goal is to always land safely in the pit.

Before you move your run to 8L two things: find your max grip and pole for your 6L run and practice your 8L timing on the track first. Your thoughts at the end of your post about moving back to 7L and up a pole aren't necessary yet: let's work on the above and as long as you have the poles in your bag 8L runs are on the horizon.
V
PURSUITOF2016

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 am

I took another look at your videos starting from the original post: 4l, 5L, 6L and so forth... I want to elaborate on the previous posts.

First of all you have moved your grip from 13' to 13'3" and have moved from a 13'7 150 to a 14'7 150 and should be on the 155 in short order. NICE WORK...

Make sure that you are keeping a training log and that you know exactly what your pole and grip is for each given run: e.g. 4,5,6,8L etc... Elementary stuff really, but don't overlook it, pays off in spades.

I don't want to sound like you don't have good swing mechanics: you do have a really good swing: at take off you are nice and tall and your take off leg is nice and long. You are also getting inverted well and getting your hand to your hip: all of that is good.

Here is why I am posting again:
The pole is recoiling before you are getting the hip extension: in my previous posts I mentioned swinging fast and powerfully and all of that still applies. I wanted to elaborate a bit more and specify what exactly I am and am not seeing: so this is good, as stated previously you are doing a lot really well.

A good friend shared an awesome "verbal cue" with me, which is: "Beat the Pole to Vertical" - (and then some)

So from 6L Basically, I want you to do everything the same - run, pole, grip: hit your takeoff, swing nice and long, AND SWING FAST AS #%€£¥!! - Beat the Recoil... WITH A SWING AND NOT A TUCK - swing to pike, not swing to TUCK
(stretch your hamstrings)

Your swing is smooth and fluid, which is good; to a point. After you nail your take off, whip kick and really work to hit that pike position and hip extension.
Now, I personally like to see swing with the hands to the shins/knees, and then explode with your hip extension and then you can pull, turn, push to clear the bar: we can talk more on that later.

Find a cheer/gymnastics gym - they usually have an "open gym" and practice your swing "gene reflex" on the rings: momentum and centripetal force is your new best friend: also, Bubkas, Swinging Bubkas and Hang Cleans/Power Cleans (lighter and FAST vs HEAVY and SLOW)

I want you to know your Max pole and Grip for each run up to 6Ls: I know that you are going up in pole and grip: all of the aforementioned is going to help your vault system energy beyond where you currently are, as well as direct that energy more vertically than current. REMEMBER, small and methodical adjustments landing SAFELY in the pit.

Increasing the RUN, POLE and GRIP without a plan is "Fodder for Fools"
V
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”