Bottom arm confusion

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Bottom arm confusion

Unread postby bb12334 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:41 pm

So this video is from my second practice of the season. Throughout the past 2 seasons, I have really struggled on penetrating into the pit. Unless I am on a tiny pole it doesn't happen. I have been trying to fix the bottom half of my jump for a while now. First off, I think I may be over-striding, but I am not really sure, and I can't tell if I am jumping up enough at takeoff.
However, I think the main problem is my bottom arm. I know that I do not press enough into it but I think there is more to it than that. I think I may facilitate my swing by almost pulling with my bottom arm. That might explain why I have trouble getting the pole to ever really move past vertical. The thing I am really confused about is why even when my takeoff looks alright, for example at :13, :31, 1:01, and 1:04, my hips swing forward right away. Comparing my jumps and my friend's jump at 1:18, my hips come forward immediately and his stay back. This is killing me, because the pole is never really rolling over in the box, I can never finish my top end and just have to force it out.
What is going on? Why can I never penetrate?

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQbko6d9a08&feature=plcp

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: Bottom arm confusion

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:37 pm

You're probably going to have to repost with some better video: while I can appreciate your personal comparisons with your teammates technique, the information is excessive. Post 2 or 3 full videos of your best jumps from a full run and you may have more responses.
Best,
V
PURSUITOF2016

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Bottom arm confusion

Unread postby CoachEric » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Yes, it's definitely because you're pulling with your bottom arm.

First thing's first. Fix the way you carry the pole. You are carrying with a straight left wrist and high left elbow. Instead, tuck the left arm under the pole, with your elbow down, and cock the wrist up so that the pole rests in your palm. This will allow you to better accelerate into your takeoff because it shortens the distance between the beginning of your plant and the extended plant position. Your feet will move in time with your hands, so when your hands are faster, your feet will be faster.

Focus on creating as much space as possible between you and the pole at takeoff, pushing the pole up towards vertical with the whole body. As you leave the ground, allow the shoulders to stretch up, with the left hand moving up and back over your head, and DON'T PULL!

So, in summary,
1. Carry the pole corectly, left elbow down
2. Create space at takeoff, push the pole with the whole body
3. continue to open the shoulders post takeoff, with teh left hand moving up and back. Don't pull.

If you can do those 3 things, the pole will continue to rotate and your hips will swing faster.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”