16' PR any advice welcome

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
charlie
PV Pro

Re: 16' PR any advice welcome

Unread postby charlie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm a visual coach, not an english major and 69 years young!!! Also won 25 US Masters National Championships and was 83 & 85 Masters
World Champion! Also coached 47 High School State Champions in the last 5 Years, and really don't care what other people think!I enjoy enhansing young peoples lives and will continue to do so!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm

OK Charlie - carry on enhancing folks lives - as I am sure you do. BUT you might try to learn more about the event and then you could do a better job - its not difficult - really its not. But first you have to accept that you really don't know much - if anything - about the Petrov model and then the learning process can start. As a wise man once said "Doubt is the beginning of wisdom".

To Troy I would simply say - you MUST improve your plant and take off if you want to jump 17' - and more importantly avoid getting hurt. A lot of six step take offs and 6 step bar clearances using a STIFF pole will make an enormous difference. Keep a record of the difference between your standing grip height and you best grip height with stiff pole take offs - no inversion -just trying to drive the pole to the vertical so you just make the pad. Contact Rick Baggett - he has some norms you can compare your performances with. Oh and start moving to a 16 step run in preparation for next year. Talk to dj about run up lengths and six step markers. Good luck.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:04 am

To try and offer some simple advice...

Your run looks good at the start but you could do a little better job quickening your step and having a big up impulse into the jump. You appear to just be running into the takeoff so everything is flat. This is also apparent in your slightly late plant in which that combined with lack of jump is causing a relatively low bending pole.

I think the biggest things for you to work on are:

1) Find a high bar and work on swinging with your whole body up and off the pole. You seem to just kick your leg through and keep your chest upright so your hips do not get to moving very fast. In the vault you are able to drop your shoulders and 'catch the ride' pretty well which means you have good body awareness but you could really put more energy into it by swinging to that position instead of just dropping your shoulders to get into it.

2) Learn to long jump. You do not have to get good at it, just understand the mechanics of a cut step in which you quicken the last step to get your hips under you so you can jump up and be as tall as possible at the take off. This combined with keeping your left elbow pointed outward instead of forward will allow you to have a more elastic take off and combined with a cut step and jump you should be very close to a free take off. But not just a 'free take off' in which you leave the ground with a straight pole, rather one where you leave the ground with a big up impulse and straight pole that you are about to put a ton of energy into!

3) Pole Runs: Just practice dropping the pole so that you have a free pole drop. You let your left hand drop down to your hip and then try and pick it up again at the last second causing things to be flat. You never want your left hand to drop below your chest when planting. This way you can just let it fall like a lever, and have the momentum of it falling almost help pick you up when you are jumping, instead of picking the pole up at the last second and running right into it.

... food for thought ...

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 am

PV2020 wrote:To try and offer some simple advice...

... food for thought ...

:yes: :yes:
sound advice..., stated well and very descriptive..., nice work
PURSUITOF2016

trayoates
PV Nerd
Expertise: College (class of 2017)
Lifetime Best: 17'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby trayoates » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:26 pm

thanks guys, and ive known that about my plant and ive been working on it. i used to be consitently 1 foot under, but ive been getting better at taking off at the right spot.

Ive also been working on keeping my left arm in and high on the run, i can see it poking out and want it to bring it in like the Petrov model. thanks for the advice

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”