What next

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
OWS
PV Newbie

What next

Unread postby OWS » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 am

Hi,

I have just started to vault again after 12 years off due to a shoulder injury so I need all the help I can get :-)

I know my form is poor but what do you guys think of this vault and what do you think I should be working on next?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwE35XTvs8

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ows

p.s It was never this tough when I was younger :confused:

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: What next

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:23 am

Try to get a little better video and find out how to use a slow motion effect on it before you post it: I was able to play/pause and get a stop frame effect and have included my thoughts below.

Having said that, I like your pole plant and take off. It appears on and not under and the top hand is almost fully extended: work towards full extension of the top hand and arm, like your trying to touch the basketball rim. Also, drive knee should come up and stay up. It looks like you hit the upside down 4 position at take off and then it drops: see if you can get your heel in toward the glute during take off and it should be easier to keep the drive knee up.

After the pole plant and take off, your swing is there for just a short time and then you pull both knees to your chest: this destroys the momentum of your swing and robs you of the rotational speed you could be creating with a better swing. The result is evident on the top end of your vault as you flag out horizontally towards the bar instead of vertically up and over it. Have a look at some of my previous posts in video review as the comments there will apply to you as well and will go into greater detail on strategies to remedy this.
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”