4 Left Practice

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
slahaye
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'8
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mark Hollis

4 Left Practice

Unread postby slahaye » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Hey everybody, had practice on saturday and figured it was about time I posted something on here!
Some info on me-
Current senior in high school
6'0' 145lbs
indoor and outdoor facilities, and gymnastics gym
access to alot of poles

grip, pole and run are all in the video, thanks for watching! appreciate any comments!
**I know my plant is a little late, and i need to swing up more rather than than shooting out at the bar, any ideas to practice on fixing those things would be awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuN8pxy2yto

Pawelvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.52
Favorite Vaulter: Pawel Wojciechowski

Re: 4 Left Practice

Unread postby Pawelvaulter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:05 pm

During your takeoff get your arms up as high as possible and really drive your knee up. Also dont try to turn untill you competely swing upside down. Yes that means your going to have to drop your shoulders. Its a really weird feeling at first but after a while youll get used to it and youll really feel the pole's energy throwing you up. Also what really helped me was bubkas on the high bar.

slahaye
PV Newbie

Unread postby slahaye » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 am

Alright, I do plenty of bubkas so ill give that feeling a go on the pole, thanks for the reply!

Also, Just had practice again, more 4 step runs working on a good stretch, all info is in the video again! and comments would be great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-q_OWij ... ature=plcp

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Pawelvaulter wrote:...Also dont try to turn untill you competely swing upside down...

I am saying exactly the same thing as Pawel, just in a different manner...
Towards the end of the swing you're "stuck in the seat" so to speak with your hips bent
To finish your swing you will need to have a hip extension similar to the second pull of an OLYMPIC CLEAN with the barbell... this hip extension is similar to the hip extension of the BUBKAS

In your vault towards the finish of your swing, your feet are about a foot from your hands...
this is close to the starting position of the BUBKAS... try to get them even closer to your hands.
At this point in your vault your feet head toward the bungee and your body never aligns vertically with the pole...

when Pawel states,
Pawelvaulter wrote:...Also dont try to turn untill you competely swing upside down...

To accomplish this you should have a BACK/HIP EXTENSION type of movement such that you bring your hip to your top hand, "right hand right pocket" for a right handed vaulter and viceversa for leftys...

dont worry about making the bar or bungee at first, instead practice the move from a short run with a pole and a grip on which you feel confident that you can safely land in the pit...
don't worry about turning at first, just hold the position and land safely on your back in the pit. After you feel confident, then you can add the turn and back the run up.
PURSUITOF2016

slahaye
PV Newbie

Unread postby slahaye » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:35 pm

coachjvinson wrote:...

Appreciate the detailed response! "Focused on the right hand right hip" today at practice and could immediately feel a big difference.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 am

SWEET, when you get things dialed in post some more video on this thread for some before and after, and keep up the good work!
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”