critique por favor??

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
trayoates
PV Nerd
Expertise: College (class of 2017)
Lifetime Best: 17'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

critique por favor??

Unread postby trayoates » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 pm

im going into my senior season, ive jumped 15'6", im 6'1" and i weigh 170ish pounds. this is from my 4 step run (50 feet) on a 13'9" 175 holding about 12 feet. the bungee is at 14 feet and i was just working on form ( mainly keeping the leg straight through the swing and then not going crazy up at the top). any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIpv77S14a8&feature=related

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: critique por favor??

Unread postby altius » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:23 am

Take off is too flat -you are being pulled of the ground -not jumping up and moving the pole forward and up. Left leg is still flexed as it goes past the chord of the pole. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:49 pm

No up at takeoff and the trail leg is bending almost immediately,however good follow through and finish (position wise).

trayoates
PV Nerd

Unread postby trayoates » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:47 pm

thanks, yeah ive been working on jumping up more at takeoff, but i always seem to do what my coach calls a "shuffle step" you cant really see it in the video. my takeoff step is a reach/flat step and it makes me sag on the pole a lot. are there any drills i can do to fix that? or is that just an issue to fix by jumping more?

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:50 pm

well yeah there are some drills. Try placing some small light obstacles on the runway that you can feel but wont hurt you,like pieces of cardboard or small paper plates. Place them sequentially between your steps from say a four step approach. Place them closer together as they get closer to the pit and your take-off mark. Concentrate on getting your last 4 steps "down" quickly on the runnway in other words faster step cadence the closer you get to take-off. If you stretch your steps you will contact your obstacles and it will give you immediate feedback during your run. When you are not making contact and your steps are getiing"down" correctly the take-off sagging isues will go away. Remember faster/ quicker toward take-off and get that last step "down" as quickly as possible so that you will have an "up" impulse" (jump) at take-off. Does your coach have you useing a mid mark? If not I would highly recommend it. A mid mark helps you focus and diagnose problems on the runway before you get to the take-off and helps you focus on your run and not a take-off mark per say. Your jumps look pretty good overall,just be patient and work hard..........it will come.

trayoates
PV Nerd

Unread postby trayoates » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:54 pm

thanks for the response!!

yeah, ive always been under about 6 inches on my takeoff every jump. my coach says i do it because it's comfortable to me, and when my step is actually on it feels like im 2 feet out... i have done those drills but with towels on the runway. i have a 36" vertical but you cant tell that at all in my vault /:

here's my winning jump at state (you can still see that sag and that im under): [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbKSquwMD6Q[url]

trayoates
PV Nerd

Unread postby trayoates » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:20 pm

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 am

Not really sagging as I see it more just kind of flat and yes a little under. You convert the run energy pretty well actually. I would continue to work the towel drills and work on being exsplosive and quick in the last 3 steps trying to really get that last step down quickly. Defenitely moving in a good direction! :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”