Please Critique

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
mcavarano
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Please Critique

Unread postby mcavarano » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:02 pm

bungie is at 13'6 im holding about 12'10 on a 14' 160 pacer. also the standards are at 22 when i usually jump at 18(coach forgot to move them) so i think some of the reason i hit it so badly is due to coming down on it

Alittle about me this is my first year pole vaulting so far i have gotten 13' in a meet and am looking to atleast clear 13'6 to make states. So any advise you can give me would be awsome. also if you point something out please suggest how to fix it(drills etc). I think my plant is pretty far under but because i dont think my arms should be that close to my body but my coach always says may mark is on. Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/aUIxgzw96PQ

dlevear
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.30m
Favorite Vaulter: Giuseppe Gibilisco

Re: Please Critique

Unread postby dlevear » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:51 am

Do you have a shorter pole for your grip height? Like a 13'6 160 for example? Your technique looks pretty nice! Make sure you're jumping up at takeoff (I think you are) and avoid being inside on your step. I think you were a little inside on this jump.

mcavarano
PV Beginner

Unread postby mcavarano » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Hey thanks for your response and my pole selection is very limited but we do have a 13'6 160 which is what I was using before this pole. But it was a "softer" pole and I was blowing threw even with the standards all the way back so I had to move to this pole. I am working on getting my hands higher as that will help in jumping higher but I'm still getting used to extra bit of bend which comes with my hands going up

mcavarano
PV Beginner

Unread postby mcavarano » Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 pm

New video from are meet today. Jumps start at 11' and go to 13' all makes are first attempt and then my three misses at 13'. I no i should open at a higher height but my coach insisted on us opening at 11' in fear we wouldnt make 11'6 or '12' if we started there. Also as i got to later heights i started to move my hands up the pole(only like a finger or two at a time). It looks to me like the first attempt at 13' i was over but didnt penetrate far enough cuasing me to hit it with my legs. What will help get deeper into the pit. Any other thoughts or criticisms are welcome.

Also i no some of the angles are not very good my dad was not aware of where he should be standing.

http://youtu.be/pp0hG2QDH9Q

mcavarano
PV Beginner

Unread postby mcavarano » Thu May 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Alright I have a new question,today at practice I jumped 13' with the bar for the first time getting it in a meet a few weeks ago. For this jump I was only holding 12'6, and I made it with a lot of room to spare. My question is why is it that when I move my hands up from there I'm not getting as good of a jump. It just doesnt feel as comfortable, that being said I'm still completing the jump and landing plenty deep enough.

And don't say it was practice it don't count, I know I've gotten it in a meet also it was just the first time in awhile I've gotten it with the bar

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Tory » Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 am

It would appear to me that you are under at take off. Also, your bottom arm collapses almost instantly when you plant. You should be pushing the pole away from you, which is hard to do with the pole on your chest.

When your bottom arm collapses too soon, the hips will begin the swing too Soon. On the 13ft jump you stall out because you reached the top of your swing too early. Letting your bottom arm collapse will work for a while, but eventually you reach its limitations (think stiff poling).

Ultimately, it's the plant. Your arms should be fully extended before you drive the right knee and jump. Do in-place plants, then jogging plants, then full speed into the slide box. Great planting grows great vaulters.

Get your dad to film your entire vault so we can see your steps and pole drop. Good luck!

mcavarano
PV Beginner

Unread postby mcavarano » Sun May 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi thanks I will focus on not collapsing my bottom arm so fast from now on a practice and also I've been working on trying to get my takeoff out where it should be but it's a slow process.

We have a meet early this week so I should have video of my run then.

mcavarano
PV Beginner

Unread postby mcavarano » Sat May 12, 2012 7:39 pm

PR'ed today 13'6!!! Got it on my first attempt will get video up as soon as I can

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”