13' 6" needs improvement

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
zachwinters156
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

13' 6" needs improvement

Unread postby zachwinters156 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1MzFJQ1DY&feature=player_embedded

14' 155 for 12' 6"
14' 160 for all other heights

i weigh 150

wanna make big improvements

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: 13' 6" needs improvement

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 am

zachwinters156 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1MzFJQ1DY&feature=player_embedded

14' 155 for 12' 6"
14' 160 for all other heights

i weigh 150

wanna make big improvements

Learn to plant and jump without seeking the contact of the box first. You are doing a lot of things right, but you don't get any elevation at takeoff because you are so far under. More importantly, your lower back is going to take a beating when you go to 15' poles, unless you can get your takeoff step out to at least 11' (12' would be much better).

Also, you can gain some height by piking your hips at the top of your jump. This can be practiced by doing rockback handstands with a bungee behind you at increasing heights, trying to clear the bungee. This video is hilarious, but actually has a really good tutorial on the drill (first 3 minutes...unless you are a breakdancer!). Just try to pop your hips up as hard as possible and then push and pike to land on your feet.
http://youtu.be/ysaqRUZxdsE

Good luck,
Tom

zachwinters156
PV Fan

Unread postby zachwinters156 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:50 am

getting my step out is my next point interest but do you have any suggestions for an easier way to get this done besides just moving my step out. ive gotten pretty good with my step on short runs with lower grips but when i try to move it out on longer runs i tend to just open up my strides to make up the difference.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Do lots of pole runs with an emphasis on quickening of the last three strides and a jump off the ground. Don't let your pole tip touch the ground until you have completed the takeoff. This will get you used to the feeling of no pole support at takeoff. The jump-over-the-tip drill on grass is also very useful as it is a self-correcting drill. Another important aspect is to really make sure you are WAY out on your short run vaulting and stiff pole vaulting, to get used to the feeling. Some vaulters benefit from a piece of cloth placed at the correct spot...I have mixed feelings about this since you shouldn't be looking at the ground at takeoff. If you try this method, don't get stuck on it but merely use it as a step in the process.

If you are accustomed to having support of the pole when you take off, it will feel freaky to jump and swing with a free takeoff, but once you get used to it you can jump on way bigger poles.

It will take some time to fix this, but if you make it a real point of emphasis it will improve. You are right, you can't just move your step back and magically hit the right takeoff. I find that the quickening of the steps is the best way to hit the mark rather than moving steps back. Your run does not look stretched, so you may need to move back a little, but resist the temptation to stretch and hit your previous takeoff mark.

Good luck,
Tom

zachwinters156
PV Fan

Unread postby zachwinters156 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:49 pm

thanks. im going to hold off on the rag drill just because i already have some issues with looking down at the box and that would probably just make it worse. my 7 step has moved in almost 3 feet since last year (because i used to over stride) it probably does need to go out some so ill inch it back but cautiously just to make sure im not getting too long thanks for the help tho it should make a difference

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”