15'0" review

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
essxpv91
PV Beginner

15'0" review

Unread postby essxpv91 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:45 am

jumps go 14'0", 14'5", 14'9", 15'0" Standards at 27 for all of these jumps

All from walk up 6 step. Pole: 15 ft. 165lbs carbon essx Grip: 14 ft.

Any help appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F0E8IzC4zk

MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Re: 15'0" review

Unread postby MattM » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 am

Good looking jumps. :yes:

I noticed that on your run, your hands move back and forward pretty boldly. This is a potentially harmful part of your vault, because it could lead to your plant occasionally being off, slow, or late. It also might hurt the rhythm of your run, because when you're almost about to plant you have could have to adjust the cadence of your run so that your plant will be on.

These are only potential problems, I didn't see your pole carry really causing any problems in your vaults in these videos. But, it could cause problems sometime, and you should try to work on it. Work on instead of letting your arms swing front and back, have them in a more constant position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ34Pc-1dBA
Notice that Bubka keeps his hands pretty much the same distance from where his body is the entire approach run. His right hand never leaves his hip and his left hand is always in the same spot in relation to his body.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:46 am

i am busy at the moment and just had a moment to look at your video but i noticed that during your jump you are pulling down on the pole. watch your hands from their position at take-off and you will notice that that during the jump instead of the hands continuing up and taking the "escalator" you are taking the "elevator" in a sense. this is going to stop you from jumping higher with the same run and same pole. since you are pulling down on the pole after takeoff you stop the swing and you are muscling the jump instead of swinging to the top of your jump you are just forcing your body into a position on a bent pole to try and get thrown off. my suggestion would be to work on swinging and continuing to drive your hands up and forward throughout the whole jump.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Try thinking about pressing your chest forward, while letting your hands move slightly behind your head and your trail leg come behind you, after you leave the ground. You are very rigid after take off, and allowing your body to come into this position a little more will help you move the pole and set up a powerful swing.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”