New one from me...

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

New one from me...

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 am

Don't hold back...

I'm 5'11" weighing 138lbs
Pole is a 14'7" UCS 150lbs
Gripping at 13'10"
7 left approach from 85'6"

Bungee is at 15'

and here...we... go! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPlUoU8EELM
suck it up.

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: New one from me...

Unread postby ACvault » Wed May 27, 2009 9:58 am

I think what you need to concentrate the most on is your run.

One of the things you are lacking in your run is POWER. You need to push out of the back from the very first step with big, powerful strides. If you do not know what I am talking about then read this book. http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Jumps-Pol ... 0736074198

Get a more vertical pole carry, you start with the pole to low and you carry it too low for most of your approach.

Need a bigger knee drive after take off.

Once you cover the things on the ground, you'll be amazed at how much the things in the air improve.

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Wed May 27, 2009 10:08 am

I fully agree on my run... I'm not a very powerful guy, but i've been working on it.

As far as pole drop goes... i know i run with it too low... but i can't for the life of me get a free pole drop. It screws me all up, and i worked the crap out of it last summer. but... i'll see what i can do.
suck it up.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 27, 2009 10:29 am

Considering some things on the ground, your off the ground phase is pretty damn good! So lets work backwards to see what you should improve on.... IMO

You swing long, move your hips pretty well, tuck just slightly to get back all the way. Your swing just isnt quite quick enough yet to cover the pole with your legs straight, which is ok. All in all i feel your hands do what they should do as well, but....

Your swing isn't as quick because you aren't fully extended in the famous "C" with your hips back, BEFORE you swing. It's like leaning back and trying to kick a football.

You are leaning back because as soon as the pole hits the back, your hips move forward. This is physics, and the only way to fight this is with how you leave the ground. Even if you feel resistance (because you are still under) you MUST leave the ground with enough "umph!" to keep your hips back and stay behind the pole. You can have problems with your pole drop and plant, but if you hit your take off with power impulse and power to put your body in this position, it fixes a lot of things in the jump.

However, in an ideal world you would leave the ground and get into this position with ease, because you would not feel resistance from the pole until you are off the ground. This only happens with a free take off.

The free take off requires a proper plant which allows you to accelerate your last steps.

This acceleration and proper plant starts with a proper pole drop, which starts with proper mechanics and carry, etc.... tracing your problems back to your first step. You can take anyones jump and trace their problems back to their first step and their pole carry. My suggestion would be to work on this "umph" on your take off. Then in order to work toward that ideal take off, do tons of stiff pole vaults starting with literally 1, 2 steps into sand, watching the tip not hit the sand until you are off the ground. 100 repetitions later, add 1 or 2 more steps, until eventually you are on 3 lefts stiff vaulting with a free take off. This is quite an accomplishment if you get this far in a summer. Stay behind the pole and feel that body stretch before you swing. Apply this with the same "umph" you have, and you will be looking at some 16' bars IMHO.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Wed May 27, 2009 11:24 am

Vaulterboy... that was awesome, thanks for taking the time to type that out.

I went back on quicktime and isolated my takeoff points... on the first jump i was definitely under... the second jump, my toe was barely still on the ground as you saw the pole hit the back, so it was CLOSE to being free, but no cigar. I gotta say my takeoff is significantly better than earlier this year, and last year too. But, not perfect of course. I've been working on it a lot though.

I see what you're talking about with my hips too. They come forward as soon as i jump. I think its caused by what you said. Since i have my pole tip so low, during the last few steps of my run i have to be more upright/leaning back to support the weight of the pole, and since i'm basically leaning back at takeoff guess what my hips do? haha.

So... Course of action here... sand drills... a BUNCH of them... concentrate on hips.
THEN... maybe sliding box drills, working on my pole carry/drop? i think that would be productive.
THEN... short approach vaults, concentrating on pole carry/drop and my hips.

FINALLY... full vaults, clear 16', roar like a beast... got it.
suck it up.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 27, 2009 11:40 am

haha you may be right. You look a little under, and i connected that with your take off being under. It might also come from that lack of "umph" or from leaning back at the take off. You seem to already know you want that slight forward lean at take off.

The sand vaults will quickly teach you that in order to stay behind the pole, you want to lean slightly forward and get your hips and leg back as quickly as possibly after take off. When the pole goes in the sand, it's only natural for your hips to come forward. It's where they were before they come forward that's important. You can your chest and trail leg hit the pole too, so that you dont swing right by the pole (at least thats what i do). I'm actually doing that today! Cheers.

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Wed May 27, 2009 11:48 am

OK, cool... we'll see how far i can get today on all that, but i'll be starting with the sand.

I have my camera again, so maybe i'll snag up some video of all the drills.

P.S. will you be at any street vaults this summer?
suck it up.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Right now, im not planning on it. I have this internship i'd like to focus on. However if there is something later in the summer (july-ish) i might come down from a short run. I might go up to Groton, NY with my very first coach i havent seen in years when he does his vault, and i'll probably go to Alan's camp when he comes to Baltimore, but that's all i got right now. I am waayyy farther under than you are so i have some work as well. Hopefully ill get to 4 steps today, lol.

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Wed May 27, 2009 1:48 pm

vault3rb0y wrote: I am waayyy farther under than you are so i have some work as well.

Haha... see i figure my takeoff is still looking better than a LOT of peoples... but I strive for perfection! haha.

Good luck on practice sir.
suck it up.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”