new video (plz help)

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Tomtatom
PV Newbie

new video (plz help)

Unread postby Tomtatom » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:44 am

Im 5'8 124 jumping on a 13' 140 UCS spirit. The bar is at 11'6, I know my step is in about a foot or so.

I have a new 14' 135 but I have not made it in enough to clear a bar yet, even at a thirteen foot hand grip.

http://www.treemo.com/users/plvtngdude/ ... tem/68523/

http://www.treemo.com/users/plvtngdude/ ... tem/68527/

.....any help would be nice....
Last edited by Tomtatom on Sun May 20, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Tom-Tom>

Official 13"
Practice 13'3"

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:23 pm

theres not much to correct there. just move the steps back alittle. maybe widen your grip alittle bit on the pole also. very good form, not much to fix, just work on getting on bigger poles. were you also in a foot when you were jumping on your 14'135? if so, fix that and you got it.
heyhey

EPVaulter1
PV Wannabe

Unread postby EPVaulter1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:27 pm

The biggest thing that i see is that your left arm, or bottom arm is really collapsed.... you need to work on keeping as straight as possible without locking it out.. what helped me was doing slide box drills
but i do have to say... you do have a nice recovery for having your bottom arm collapse so much
but keep up the good work
good luck
RJ
130lbs
5'6"
PR - 13'0"

Just Go!

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:55 pm

exactly the problem. your left arm, should be fully extended at take off and come in as little as possible. this will keep your trail leg back a little longer and prevent you from going onto your back so fast.

good luck
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sat May 05, 2007 3:14 am

Are you guys saying that a completley straight arm at take off is not blocking? I know his left arm is collapsed when the pole hits the box, but should it be straight at take off?
Just you wait...

Zodd
PV Newbie

Unread postby Zodd » Sat May 05, 2007 12:30 pm

left arm? the biggest problem was that on both jumps he was under by at least half a foot... yes, if you are under, a straight left arm artificially keeps the trail leg back and reduces pressure to the lower back, but this wastes energy by reducing velocity. it's not a great loss, but in the long run this can translate to a foot or more of height. it's better to work on having a plant that bends the pole right before or at the instant your toe leaves the ground. after a correct plant, applying some pressure with the left arm (not keeping it straight, as on a good vault this will happen automatically from the bending of the pole) is much less wasteful and some vaulters find it to be more comfortable.
"A friend would not just follow another's dream... a friend would find his own reason to live..."

AvariceDemons
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Open Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.65m
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby AvariceDemons » Tue May 08, 2007 10:59 pm

Step was definitely under like everyone is saying. Getting your step further back will allow you to keep your hips away from the pole longer. If you watch the video, your hips move forward right away from your jump. This puts you on your back way too early, and makes it a lot harder to move the pole forward. You want to keep your hips back away from the pole and close the angle between your arm and body by rowing as you swing up. When your hips move in right away it stops the motion of the poll, and makes it a lot harder to get in.
Thats probably why you cant get enough penetration in to the pit. Pressing you front arm more off the start will help that a lot too, but is tough being as far under as you are.
Anything not worth doing is worth not doing well. Think about it.
- Elias Schwartz

PR: 4.65m

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 pm

yea, didnt notice your step, was only looking at your arms on the plant. but do what they've said, scoot back a foot or even a little more, and your jump should come together pretty well

good luck
PR- 15-1

Tomtatom
PV Newbie

Unread postby Tomtatom » Sun May 20, 2007 2:52 am

The problem is i know my step is in, but for some stupid reason when i adjust, my last step will stretch and hit that exact same stupid spot a foot in. Anybody know how to break this habbit? I have already tried tons of pole runs and sliding box drills.
<Tom-Tom>

Official 13"

Practice 13'3"

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Sun May 20, 2007 3:12 pm

try getting your last 2 steps down quick. dont reach...
PR- 15-1

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”