need some help

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
MillerTime
PV Whiz

need some help

Unread postby MillerTime » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfTe1MNASzU

what can i do to improve my vault?

i weigh around 135, im on a 13'7 145 (spirit brand i think??) holding only a few inches below the weight sticker thing.
thanks in advance!

-miller
heyhey

Righteous Vaulter
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.61m

Unread postby Righteous Vaulter » Tue May 01, 2007 3:43 am

Your left hand needs to move upward at take off instead of getting pushed toward your head. When the left goes up your chest can move in toward the pit.
A man who won't die for something is not fit to live.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Tue May 01, 2007 9:16 pm

so how do i stop that, just keep my arms stiffer? and is there anything i can do to get more height? do i just need to lean back farther, cause it looks like when i get that "pop" im going out and not up, does anyone else notice that? do i just need to stay vertical longer and lean back more?
heyhey

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Tue May 01, 2007 9:20 pm

dont lean back. if you hit it hard with your bottom hand. your trail leg will come through better, and getting back will come in time. dont try to change everything overnight...
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Tue May 01, 2007 10:54 pm

but i literally need to change it overnight haha well in 2 days (i have regionals), dont worry, im good at changing things fast. i went to practice 3 times so far this season, and i learned something new and got better each time i went. i think im just gonna try to barrow a 14' 155 or 14' 165 from my old HS. couldnt hurt right? and ill still have my 14'135 as a backup.

but is that the main thing im doing wrong? not leaning back far enough. is that whats making me pop OUT and not UP?
heyhey

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Wed May 02, 2007 12:20 am

your going into the bar, not over it because you arnt fully inverted when the pole starts to recoil. leaning back wont solve that. you have to swing up to that position, and turn as it uncoils. a lot of people have trouble with this, including me.
PR- 15-1

Great season, time to top it

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Wed May 02, 2007 12:11 pm

ok, i see, so i have to get into vertical faster. and turn a little earlier too.

ill try it, but im hoping that the 14' 165 will give me enough pop that i can do good with that bad form, haha =)
heyhey

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 02, 2007 6:37 pm

I dont agree, sorry! you went into the bar because you werent on a stiff enough pole. The pole you are on in that jump isnt giving you much power back, so thats why it looks like you might be flagging out. Truth is, you are on the right track with how far back with the pole you come. You are connected and traveling upward for a split second, which is good. The stiffer the pole the higher you will be going, so that split second will last longer on the ride up. But the way you are keeping pressure on the pole is causing a natural turn. And thats all a turn is, its nearly impossible to coach someone to turn, because its a natural result of keeping pressure on the pole while you are inverted. Good luck at regionals!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”