critique this video

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
WeFlyNoLieVaulting
PV Newbie

Unread postby WeFlyNoLieVaulting » Sun May 13, 2007 7:05 pm

bump
What's Travel?

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Sun May 13, 2007 9:37 pm

Besides what everyone else said, they are also looking at the bar most of the time. This is one of my biggest problems and it's what kept me from going to states this year. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can stop looking at it?

AP
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former Post Collegiate
Lifetime Best: 18' 1

Unread postby AP » Tue May 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Siros,

There are good words of experience about take off and swing in previous posts. I don't see any problem with vaulting at a bar in practice. Plenty of great coaches encourage this and encourage 100% of the time from long run approaches.

It's important to understand where the bar is, however, staring at it and shooting your hips for it is typically the problem.

Many have had your problem. What helped me was looking at my inside of my top hand after my hips swung above my shoulers (rock back position). Make sense? So, ideally I'd see my top hand come into view after swinging (on the inside of right hip and ready to extend vertical by thrusting hips upward and pulling), rather than staring at the bar and shooting over.

It's hard to "see" everything in the vault, it happens fast. Right now you probably have a few"visual" cues, such as seeing the box before you plant, seeing the bar before you turn, and seeing the box again when you push the pole a way. Agree?

Soon, with enough reps your body and muscles will create cues that will "feel" right. You'll "feel" where the bar is at your back in proportion to how your body felt at take off (out or under) and how the pole is rolling over (blow through, etc..)

Good luck with it and have some fun with it this summer.

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Tue May 15, 2007 9:39 pm

That's what this coach told me during my conference meet. Like I'll try to not look at it too much. Like I'll run up to it staring at the plant box before I take off to make sure that's right. Then when I vault I'll try looking a foot or two above the bar. This only lasts for about .2 seconds and then I'll glance back at the bar. It's a work in progress and I feel that once I stop doing it that I'll be able to go higher. Thanks for the advice. I'll try what you said tomorrow at practice. I'm still going to practice even though I didn't qualify cause I want to get better for next year in case I can't practice during the summer.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”